Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

recently painted cars?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
CobraCam

Originally Posted by dodgestang
This is common....here I am just about to enter month 12 of a 2 month project....still waiting for front/rear valances, a headlight bucket, finned tail light panel, panel alignment, and a wet sand/buff.

What size rear wheels?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraCam
What size rear wheels?
18x9.5 / 5 inch backspacing with 275 40 18
Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

expect about a 6k$ quote at min...you need in writing exactly what they are gonna do strip the car, epoxy prime, sandable primer, how many times they are gonna block it etc. if its gonna be base clear will they sand and buff the car afterwards(we used to charge about 600-1000$ for this alone)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:36 AM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
ha, i was quoted 4 to 6 months. 12 months later i went to pick my car up not running and in pieces and had to finish it myself and $1400 over budget.
exactly what happened to me, they even lost some of the trim and bolts to the car also..I was pissed and I demanded they re-buy the parts, which they did. In the end I had to take my car back home in pieces.

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
one last thing, NEVER EVER tell them, "no hurry,its a project". They will put it to the side and use it as a filler for the shops down time.
yep. Never Tell them that. Always be on top of them if they haven't kept you updated. also, Un-scheduled visits keeps them on their toes and ALWAYS have everything you agreed on Written on the estimate/invoice, verbal agreements don't work, people forget.

Now before I take my car anywhere I set up an interview with the shop (if I cant do the work of course). I ask to see their work, their facility and I ask for references. I'm Probably going over the top but were talking about thousands of dollars here. I expect the shop to be very professional and honest with me.

if its a shady shop but they are giving u "a deal" don't take it! in the end it will cause you headaches. Also, never take ur friends advice on recommending a shop if he hasn't taken his car there for a major restoration.

Last edited by rwcstang; 01-09-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
MMG

The best thing to do is take it to a restoration shop set up to do this kind of work. A regular collision shop hates doing this kind of work. Ive been in the business for over 25 yrs and if you put that thing in my stall, I would be tempted to walk. No offence, it is just the nature of a collision shop. That is why it takes so long, because no one is working on it. It will get passed from tech to tech (who ever is slow) or the new guy just to test his skills. Trust me, a shop who specializes in these jobs id who you want.

Good luck, it will be nice when done.