Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

best headers

Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
dragman72
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 ford mustang
Default best headers

Just picked up a 69 and had some wiring and starting issues. got them all fixed up and had to put in a new starter. WOW that was a pain! headers and sway bar had it blocked in something fierce! Anyways the headers on the car are older and sounds like they leak a bit at the gaskets and they are long tubes and have a few flat spots on the bottoms from pot holes. so I want to replace them. what headers will give me the best clearence to work on car as far as starter plugs and stuff. and what kind of performance difference am I looking at between long tubes shortys etc??? engine is a built 302.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
dragman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
woodvette
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang

i have been wonder the same thing. i had hedman headers on my '67 with power steering. the power steering lines would always fall into the headers and get holes burned in them. i will be looking for headers at some point too and am looking for something with good clearances. how about shorties?
woodvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
dragman72
1st Gear Member

the shorties look like they would have the best clearences but I don't wanna give up HP either. need someone with experience to chime in
Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang Coupe

I run JBA shorties, they breathe well and have plenty of clearance. You'll give up a bit of power over LT's, but gain a lot of clearance. Also depends on how you want to use the car, 1 reason I run shorties is it's set up for autox and open track....so it's lower and needs better ground clearance. If you're going around a track then losing 5-10hp to gain better handling from improved ride height is a huge win. If it's just drag racing and occasional weekend stuff, or not lowered very much then LT's work well if you are willing to deal with clearance issues.

There's no one "best" header to use. It's like that with anything, there's no 1 "best" part per se, it depends on what you plan to do.

Untested 331, lots of suspension, chewing up corners.
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
dragman72
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info thats exactly what I needed to know. what I would be giving up to change. after the starter this weekend I am gonna go with the shorties I think.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible w/InTech swap

I had long tubes before I went the JBA shorty route when I installed my rack & pinion and to be honest, I didn't notice a nickels worth of difference.

I'm sure somewhere it did but not so I could tell by my buttometer.

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.
fastbackford351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang Coupe

You'll see it on a dyno, or in trap speed in a competitive drag car. But you won't notice irl.

Untested 331, lots of suspension, chewing up corners.
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang Fastback
James Musnicki
Send a message via AIM to musnicki

I run a set of Headman headers in my 302. No issues with anything hitting them (besides me melting a speedo cable on them a few years back, but that was my fault). I run rack-in-pinion and have a cable clutch...so there is plenty of room for them. My only small complaint is that, because of my aluminum heads, the header bolts loosen up every four or so months (my daily driver..+8k miles a year) and it's a pain to get to some of the bolts because of the way the tubes are angled. Also, my spark plug wire wear out prematurely and start to arc to the headers because of some of the tubing angles, the back driver side two, I think plug number 6 and 8?

I picked up set of Dougs headers for my FE 428 PI, they not only look awesome but look like they will have better space issues in relation to my plugs and header bolts (I have aluminum heads on the 428 as well).

James

Musnicki
musnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Conv

You didn't indicate what tranny you were running. If you have A/T, headers offer very little performance gain, since the tranny limits you to a somewhat lower RPM operating range than a standard. Headers will generally give you whatever gain they offer in the higher ranges. A set of cast iron HiPo manifolds will give trouble-free long life service without giving up any noticeable power. No power steering hose clearance issues. No constant tightening to stop leaks. No starter heat up issues. No ground clearance issues. It all depends on what you want to put up with.
Best,
Al
Al Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
dragman72
1st Gear Member

I am running a A/T. I am thinking some shorties might be the answer but haven't committed yet
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement