Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with an upcoming 1970 Fastback Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM
timstateu

Default Help with an upcoming 1970 Fastback Project

Good afternoon everybody,

This is my first post here, so just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce the project I’m going to be starting on this spring. I just recently inherited my parents’ 1970 Fastback Mustang. I have yet to get my hands on it, so I’m not 100% sure of the complete condition of the car, but I’m told it still starts and runs. Last time I had eyes on the Mustang was around 1999. It’s always been a “project” car since I was a child and I remember being young and “helping” my father work on it in the garage when I was around 5 years old. My father passed shortly after the last time I saw the car, so the car has basically been in storage since then. My parents bought the car when my mother was pregnant with me so it’s always been in our family. My mom just had a stroke at new years, so the car has been passed on to me now. I’m extremely excited and anxious to get my hands on it and am hoping to make it road worthy.

I’ve come here for advice on the vehicle. I’m not a automotive mechanic, but I have spent the better part of the last decade enlisted as a helicopter mechanic for the Army. I have the knowledge to turn a wrench and understand how involved projects can be. I have a brother-in-law who is a mechanic and fabricator that loves working on anything Ford (total gearhead). So I have the resources to aide me in this project, which I’m extremely grateful for.

What I am looking to do with the Mustang once I get my hands on it is update it a bit to modern day. I’ve seen custom jobs online that have taken interior from 2005+ mustangs and installed them into the 1970. I want to stay traditional on the exterior, but as close to modern with the interior as I can. I would like to change over to fuel-injection, but without having too much knowledge of automobiles, I’m not sure what all this would entail. I realize modern cars run computers whereas classic’s do not. I was thinking about purchasing a salvaged 2005+ 5.0 Mustang for parts and have found some good prices. Would this sort of undertaking be something that would “fit” in the classic body frame, or would I be wasting the money on the salvage?

I’ve looked around and haven’t found any “how to’s” in regards to this. Does anyone have insight or links to projects like this?

I realize everyone has their own style and preference when it comes to classics, and believe me, I love a classic car, but I would like to make this one a daily driver (I only drive 10 miles to work each day, so it’d be perfect). My wife and two small children would also accompany me in the car from time to time, so that’s another thing I would have to consider. I would just like to have the modern-day comfort on the interior, as much as possible. It’s really important to me to get this car running because I’d like to be able to finish up what my father wasn’t able to do in the time he had. It would bring nothing but joy to be able to pick mom up and take her for a ride; I know she’d be thrilled to see the Mustang again.

(whew, I know that was a LOT. I apologize)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

pics please
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum :-) I guess the first place I'd start is to see what the car originally came with and how much is rotted away/rusted. Get a Marti report for it and see how rare (or common) it is. If its a rare option car then less updating might be more desirable. If its a standard option set, then I'd feel less inhibited in my changes.

Obviously, you'll need to fix/repair anything that isn't sound and make sure the frame rails, torque boxes are good.

Swapping to modern day...

Interior- the dash and such will not fit, what we normally see is updated mustang seats, console etc modified to fit. Search for seat swaps in the forums, you'll get lots of hits. Normally to fit a modern seat you'll have to lower the seat risers welded to the floor pans. Not a huge deal, but needs to be done if you're 6' tall or so. Trying to rework the dash is certainly doable if you want to spend the time and effort to do it. Adding modern gauges isn't as tough.

Driveline- Also done quite frequently, do a forum search on Explorer rear end swap. Not bolt in, but again its very manageable and you get disc brakes in the rear. There are several kits available to swap the rear suspension from leaf springs to 4-link and coilovers. T-5 transmission is also a common swap that isn't tough, just takes time. The T-5 will give you overdrive for running on the highway. there are kits made for this that include a new trans crossmember.

Engine- to fit a modern modular engine(4.6L) you'll have to cut out the shock towers and change the front suspension to a cradle type (Think mustang II) there are several kits on the market, but they aren't cheap. However, if you can't fabricate a front suspension on your own, this will be what you want to use. Once you get it to fit, you'll have to bring in the ECM and wiring harnesses to make it all work. There are companies that make a harness for this, I think Ron Francis has one?

Misc- to upgrade the brakes you'll have to go to dual master cylinders or power brakes and booster. To run EFI you'll need an in tank fuel pump, new fuel lines and return lines and the related relays. You should also swap the headlights over to relays vs running the current through the dimmer switch.

The only other thing I'll add is to have a plan and a budget before you start. Figure what you think you will need for parts and tools, and figure out what it will cost. Then decide what you can do yourself, what you will need help with and what you'll have to pay to get done. Add all that up into dollars and then add about 30%.

Also figure out a timeline, its easy to say 'I'll be done in a year' but that's not always the case. Nearly every car project takes longer than expected because the more you work, the more ideas you come up with.

So with that said, please make sure you post pics and show us progress. There's a huge amount of knowledge on the boards here, but we can't help if we don't know what's happening. Can't wait to see progress.