Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Found some cars online I am interested in and I would love your advice!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Kingshawn1234

Default Found some cars online I am interested in and I would love your advice!

Its been about 2 years since I have sold my 1968 mustang fastback with a 429 engine and I am dying for a new one.

I have some questions and some advice I need!

I want know the difference between a classic ford 427, 351, etc. verses a mustang fuel injected 5.0 gt engine. Which has more power, which cost more, which is better overall. How much horsepower does the mustang 5.0 have?

Another thing I want to know is how much would a shop charge around to swap an engine from a 289 to a 427? And how much does a used 427 cost? And how much would installation cost roughly?

I am looking to possibly buy ons of these cars. I know they are over priced but how much do you guys think they are worth roughly.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...307473320.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...309600407.html

http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/4290540358.html

I am interested most in this mustang eleanor look replica. I was thinking to offer 40k. Do you think that is too much? I know its listed for way more. It has a regular 289 in it and I would want to swap it with a 427. And hopefully sell it for more then what I paid in a year or something like I did with my last car.

http://fusionluxurymotors.com/invent...in=7T02S191505
Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Difference between those engines is huge, more than can be put into a post here. My question is 'What do you want the car to do?' If you want to drag race go big block. If you want it to go left/right with good handling then you want to go small block to reduce the weight.

Why so set on a big block? A well built small block stroker can get you easily into the 500hp range and how much more than that do you need? That's close to 200hp more than a 427 was from the factory. And again, what are you going to do with the car?

Early engine vs injected 5.0- power difference depends on how the engines are built. Either can be moderate or killer, just depends on what you want and how much $$ you have.

How much would a shop charge to swap a 427 in from the stock motor. Not sure, but even a decent shop is billing $100hr around here for that type work, plus the engine and parts. So not sure how much, but probably into 5 figures to do it right and not just cobb it together.

None of the links worked except for the cobra kit car. That car, if its as nice as it looks is worth what they are asking. Its a fair price. If it was mine I wouldn't come down.

I don't think anyone with a well finished Eleanor build will let it go for 40K. There's a lot of work involved to get it right. If its cheaper then I'd want to know why. What corners did they cut to get the price that low? They either skimped on parts or labor. You might find a deal, but I'd look really hard at it before buying.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Kingshawn1234

Originally Posted by racer_dave
Difference between those engines is huge, more than can be put into a post here. My question is 'What do you want the car to do?' If you want to drag race go big block. If you want it to go left/right with good handling then you want to go small block to reduce the weight.

Why so set on a big block? A well built small block stroker can get you easily into the 500hp range and how much more than that do you need? That's close to 200hp more than a 427 was from the factory. And again, what are you going to do with the car?

Early engine vs injected 5.0- power difference depends on how the engines are built. Either can be moderate or killer, just depends on what you want and how much $$ you have.

How much would a shop charge to swap a 427 in from the stock motor. Not sure, but even a decent shop is billing $100hr around here for that type work, plus the engine and parts. So not sure how much, but probably into 5 figures to do it right and not just cobb it together.

None of the links worked except for the cobra kit car. That car, if its as nice as it looks is worth what they are asking. Its a fair price. If it was mine I wouldn't come down.

I don't think anyone with a well finished Eleanor build will let it go for 40K. There's a lot of work involved to get it right. If its cheaper then I'd want to know why. What corners did they cut to get the price that low? They either skimped on parts or labor. You might find a deal, but I'd look really hard at it before buying.

Hope this helps...

Race Dave,
I appreciate the info you just really taught me a lot. I thought it was all about having a big block in your car. But now I realized its not always the best. I do want something with good handling because there are a lot of canyons where I live but I also want power!!

Yeah swapping an engine just sounds like a total pain in the ***.

You know how you were saying it depends on how the engine is built do you mean like adding super chargers to the fuel injected or are there a lot more things you can do to add power that aren't even visible when look at the engine.

As far as the kit car goes the guy told me it has some rock chips in the front but I really got to see it first. It looks like a good car.
I also like this one a lot

http://www.celebritycars.com/detail-...-10698350.html

Ultimately, I love fastbacks if I find a good deal I would love to get another one.

I talked to the shop about the eleanor. They said someone traded it in with three other cars for a ferrari. So I'm guessing they didn't really pay much for it. But as far as cutting corners what should I look at? It looks like its just a regular mustang fastback S code with a 289 and they put on a eleanor kit on it. No other mods. What do you think something like that is worth?.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks