Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Finally PROGRESS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

Default Finally PROGRESS!!

I finally started making progress again on my little project so I wanted to share:

Here is all the suspension removed, and the new LCA in place:

Hopefully I can get it rolling again pretty soon so I can fill this back up (and clean it!):

I still have to reassemble most of the suspension with all my new goodies from LMM, then I get to start installing the new disc brakes and then the "new" engine goes in, yup, short and sweet .

At least I'm making progress again though, it set idle for about 2 months while I tried to find a spring compressor that would work, tried the strut compressor, not even close. Then I tried the 4-hook style internal type, couldn't get that to work, well at least not without scarring the CR@P out of me, then finally broke down and bought one of the mustang specific type that hook into the lower spring mount from a guy in texas (didn't trust my welding skills) and that thing worked awesome!!!!

Last edited by 90RunnerRed; 11-07-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Joe67
Banned

Gratz on progress...
While its apart are you goign to drill for the shelby drop? Even if you don't want it lowered now, the holes are there for when you do.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up Great work!

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Shelby drop!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys.

So regarding the shelby drop. The only reason I'm contemplating not doing it is that I do not know of a good alignment shop and I have heard horror stories about people taking theirs to get done. Right now I made sure I kept track of which shims came from each post on the UCA, and I have matched my tie rods to my old ones, hoping that when I put it all back together I am still close to where I was (it handled well and drove straight before this). Am I way off base in hoping this will work. I agree with you guys that while everything is off it is a shame not to do the drop, but I don't want to have to go round and round with an alignment shop either. I kind of like Joe's idea of drilling the holes now for future use.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

You are changing your suspension components and will need an alignment. You can not count on everything being exactly where it was when you put it back together with new components. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way! You are headed to an alignment shop no matter, so do the drop while you can.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

I was afraid of that, thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get it close enough to at least drive it to the shop. Anyone know of a good alignment shop around Colorado Springs?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Don't forget.. if you do the UCA drop to get the new specs for alignment and give it to the alignment shop.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
Don't forget.. if you do the UCA drop to get the new specs for alignment and give it to the alignment shop.
If you do this, you should be have a problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Not doing the drop now would be CRAZY!!!

Quick Reply: Finally PROGRESS!!