Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Spindle replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 PM
nc98405

Exclamation Spindle replacements

So I've been researching my steering.. Bump steering.. Issues and came across some information that my spindles can be causing the problem? I am more than sure they were replaced because she went from the stock 4-lug set up to a 5-lug set up (1966 mustang, I6, manual steering/brakes)...

I'm really interested in correcting the steering issues as well as upgrading things... I want to look into upgrading to power steering, while also using a kit to tighten up the front end, and use a bump steer kit to help things... Then doing a conversion to disc brakes... But would this all be in vain if the spindles were replaced incorrectly in the first place??? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks everyone!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

I recently upgraded my '65 to front disc brakes. I ordered a complete kit (with spindles) from CSRP in San Antonio, TX. www.discbrakeswap.com. Very complete, very correct, high quality..and WORKS!! Check 'em out!!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
nc98405

I have actually been emailing a really nice guy, Dennis, from discbrakeswap.com... He forced me to actually go out and take a look at the spindles, which was great, but in doing so I feel like a giant idiot!! haha. I simply assumed because of the conversations I had with the previous owner of the vehicle that the wheels were 5 lug, and that the spindles had to have been replaced because of that conversation (4 to 5 lug wheels)... BUT no. They are actually 4 lugs... wow... I need to be more detailed.

So even though this is one step forward, I am still a bit perplexed. I have been reading about mustang suspensions and some of the upgrades/modifications I can do to improve the manual steering (without actually going to power), and to improve the ride quality (bump steering, etc)... and I was curious on if anyone has any advice or thoughts about the following:

-Roller Idler Arms
-Roller Spring Perches
-the UCA Shelby Drop
-Adjustable strut rods

Seems to me that instead of just redoing the front end with new.. well, everything.. I could replace these items and actually upgrade the whole suspension. But ohhhh man, does that lead to more questions!! Any thoughts on where to start?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I love my ORP roller idler. That said, it's not for everyone. It does make steering a little smoother and reduces steering effort a hair, however it also reduces steering return-to-center a bit. This isn't terrible on a car that gets driven on twisty country roads all the time, but it does require some attention when cruising on the freeway, as the car will tend to follow bumps and grooves in the road.

Roller spring perches and UCA drop are required mods, as far as I'm concerned. The UCA drop will give you a better camber curve, keeping your modern radial tires flatter on the road during cornering, with essentially zero downsides. The roller perches allow the spring perches to function as designed; the stock bushings bind and can cause some severe problems. I actually broke a brand new shock coming down hard off a hill crest before swapping to roller perches. After the swap, the ride is much smoother, even with stiffer springs. Since you're going to have everything apart when you do these things, I'd consider replacing any worn suspension components at the same time (springs, control arms, etc).

Also, make sure all of your tie rods are good, with zero play. It might be worth it to take the car to a shop for a front end shakedown. Many shops will do this for free.

Last edited by Starfury; 03-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Actually, you can help your situation by changing out the front suspension and steering to the V8 setup, i.e., idler, center link, pitman arm, tie rods, 5 lug spindles, brakes. Ideally, you should also change out the rear axle to an 8" setup, complete with 10" rear brakes. If you plan on adding power steering, it is much more economical to add V8 power steering than to change to the I6 power steering setup (very rare and hard to find all components). Don't forget to change steering gear box or you won't like the results. Now you can get the styled steel wheels or some aftermarket wheels you like. Much more to choose from for the 5 lug setup.
Best,
Al
Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 AM
nc98405

Haha.. This is all great input! Looks like I need to be more patient and do some more research.