Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headers and Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Default Headers and Exhaust! Lets hear your Beast ROAR!

This thread started as a question. What header and exhaust combo would make my Classic Mustang have an irresistible sound! This thread has had so many great answers! I am challenging you to post a video of your car and let it rip. Type what kind of Headers and Exhaust you have and people can come to this to see what headers and exhaust they should get! Thanks to everyone who has/is participating! You all rock!

Last edited by jonahdeich; 03-25-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 PM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

For some reason my one response posted three times, I'm sorry, it won't let me delete them.

Last edited by ajzride; 03-22-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:08 PM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

I like my Dynomax Super Turbos. I had flow masters and couldn't talk to the passenger after 35 mph. These are still plenty loud outside the car, and especially when you get on it hard, but plenty quiet inside at cruise.

Magnaflows would be louder than the Dynomax ST, and flow masters are even louder than Magnaflow.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

For some reason my one response posted three times, I'm sorry, it won't let me delete them.

Last edited by ajzride; 03-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Emroze85

Default 2008 convertible dual exhaust

I went to a professional shop to try to get my exhaust done, and they said they couldn't install dual exhaust on my convertible mustang. What makes it different from a hard top mustang?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i have headman long tube ceramic coated headers with a pypes terminator mufflers and turn downs. I love the sound. ITs just right.

However, the fact that i have turn downs creates fumes inside the car.

I am going to get a new magnaflow set up as soon as i fix my water pump leak. AGAIN
Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Thanks to everyone who has answered!

Last edited by jonahdeich; 03-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Emroze85
I went to a professional shop to try to get my exhaust done, and they said they couldn't install dual exhaust on my convertible mustang. What makes it different from a hard top mustang?
they are incompetent idiots, of course you can put dual ex on a conv. for made millions of them.

Your neighbors will burn your house down if you use flowmasters.

the quietest are walkers from dtnomax, if you still want some spound get the dynomax thrush super turbos, NOT the dynomax super turbos. yes its stupid and confusing.

you do not want or need pipes larger than 2 1/4". they might hit the reinforcement plate under the trans. this is their area of concern. a good shop can install 2 1/2" but few shops are good.

Last edited by barnett468; 03-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

If you are running A/T, headers won't do you much good. Try using HiPo cast iron exhausts. As for dual exhausts on a convertible, it was a factory option. Maybe the exhaust shop was concerned with the headers you were considering. HiPo exhausts allow duals without issue. As for exhaust tail pipe turn-down, if you don't turn the pipes down UNDER the car, you will be just fine. Allow the turn-downs to just drop below the rear valance and you will be okay. Mufflers are your choice - whatever your ears will tolerate.
Best,
Al
Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Emroze85
That's BS. Look for a different shop. (read as more capable and knowledgeable)
Mine is a cvt and has a custom 2.5" system with Tri-Ys.

Quick Reply: Headers and Exhaust!