Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headers and Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Well Glad I got my answer before this went crazy.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

i run tri-y headers and glass packs to dual side exhaust i like the sound very muscle car of 60's

Old 03-25-2014, 03:16 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomKat
i run tri-y headers and glass packs to dual side exhaust i like the sound very muscle car of 60's

http://youtu.be/8zHyMIS96Z8
Nice sound, you got going there.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenash
Nice sound, you got going there.

thank you i appreciate it a lot! I used to run the flowmaster 40 series but couldn't stand the tone it made. I'm much happier with this set up and it looks clean just like the GT350
Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomKat
thank you i appreciate it a lot! I used to run the flowmaster 40 series but couldn't stand the tone it made. I'm much happier with this set up and it looks clean just like the GT350
Yeah, I considered the side exhaust too, but, with my lowered frame and unless I flattened them, I would have dragged them on many a bump.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Sounds amazing TomKat! I really think I want to go with the tri Ys for the ease to install. I am not sure about side or dual straight back. I am loving this thread and think it would be a cool one to get bigger. Ill change the title to "Lets Hear your Exhaust roar!" or something like that!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 AM
woodvette
1st Gear Member

can the standard cast iron exhaust manifolds be ported/ground out to achieve the characteristics of the hi-po ones? i use to run full length headers and always had trouble with power steering lines getting burned up on them.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodvette
can the standard cast iron exhaust manifolds be ported/ground out to achieve the characteristics of the hi-po ones? i use to run full length headers and always had trouble with power steering lines getting burned up on them.

Hi,
"can the standard cast iron exhaust manifolds be ported/ground out to achieve the characteristics of the hi-po ones?".....Not really.

The Hi-POs are shaped differently, so as, to flow better than stock. They are your first best choice. IMHO, the TRI-Y design is the best header for a well thought out street warrior engine. But, these still require the installation of the power ram drop bracket.
Good Luck with your project.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 AM
woodvette
1st Gear Member

can i port/grind out standard cast iron manifolds to get the characteristics of the hi-po ones? i use to run full length headers but always had issues with the power steering hoses getting burned up on them. looking for a different set up. also considering shorty headers.
thanks.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

tri-y are really good for the performance and they are period correct win win in my book

Quick Reply: Headers and Exhaust!