Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:42 PM
tonebone

Default Undercoating

Does anyone know if the thick undercoating found on my 1966 coupe is still available.? I've repaired my fore and aft wheel wells , but standard undercoating sprays don't match.. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tonebone
Does anyone know if the thick undercoating found on my 1966 coupe is still available.? I've repaired my fore and aft wheel wells , but standard undercoating sprays don't match.. Thanks in advance.
If you are building a concours mustang, you might contact one of the resto houses near you.
Glazier-Nolan in Souderton, PA has been very helpful in my questions to them.
FYI...
There are specific areas that received a factory undercoat only. The illustrated Mustang guide is a great source of these specific areas. I'm not a fan of coating the inner fenders, as the coatings can lead to moisture retention with eventual paint failure then rust. If left open, water drains away and is air dried very quickly. A hosing occasionally, will remove the road grit.
Good Look with your project.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I removed almost all the undercoating on my car and will not be putting any back on. It eventually just traps in moisture.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM
SCHOONER

Question I'M NOT SURE WERE YOU'RE COMING FROM

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I removed almost all the undercoating on my car and will not be putting any back on. It eventually just traps in moisture.
I'm thinking about undercoating my '66 since its never been done since its restoration.

I don't understand you saying " undercoating eventually just traps in moisture."
Can you further explain your statement please.

I figured if I clean the areas I want to undercoat and its dry how can the undercoat I spray or brush on will trap moisture ?

I'm listening.
Thanks for your imput.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:58 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tonebone
yes it is. it is called "body schutz" there is a newer product that is similar bit i have never used it. both require a special gun. buy either at auto paint and body supply stores and tell them you want it to come out like 1" thick putty and they will tell you how to do that, lol.