Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 problems, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Gun Jam

okay so here is a solution that actually fits the symptoms. Is it correct? Who knows but its worth looking into

It gets to 70 and falls on its face.

You threw a bunch of possible solutions at it and it made no difference.

Lets go back to basics...if it runs okay below 70 we can rule out any ignition component (at lest for now)

We'll rule out valve and rotating assembly crap (at least for now)

We'll rule out carbs (for now) and all top end junk

It idles great at an acceptable fuel mix setting and idle curb speed setting on the carb? Yes okay lets rule out vac leaks too (for now)

So its a fuel delivery problem...You have a blocked fuel line, pinched fuel line...a fuel restriction or a bad fuel pump that was replaced with a new bad fuel pump.

1) Remove fuel line from the carb and place it in a glass jar like a 1qt canning jar
2) Have a buddy crank over the engine but try not to start it (dont active the accelerator pumps)
3) fuel should rush out of the line and fill the jar with at least a cup of fuel before you can yell at him to stop it should attempt to make a mess. Place your finger over the line it should produce 6lbs of fuel pressure and you should be able to spray the fuel into the jar like a garden hose.

If fuel pressure is too low or volume is too low thats your problem (for example you crank the engine over and after 3 seconds you get only 4oz of fuel. )

If fuel pressure is too high (7+lbs) it can unseat the needles particularly at higher speed and flood the engine make sure your fuel pump is rated at 6.5lbs

Try this let me know

-Gun
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Serge1965

Here the thing, it's not running okay up to 70 anymore, it progressively got worse and now when I have it in park it won't rev past 2k, I haven't tried to drive yet with the new carb and such, I'll try it tomorrow, and I'll try the fuel pump deal too, thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Serge1965
Yes it did have the problem
And this is the distributor I have http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford
you still haven't told me if it has an msd or what if any of the things i suggested in post 4 you did.

also, disconnect your tach. i have had tachs go bad and cause probs.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-08-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Serge1965

Originally Posted by barnett468
you still haven't told me if it has an msd or what if any of the things i suggested in post 4 you did.

also, disconnect your tach. i have had tachs go bad and cause probs.
Okay, the distributor is not a MSD it's a summit racing HEI, as for what you suggested in post 4, I got rid of the edlebrock, bought a brand new holley, brand new plug wires and new ignition coil, my vacuum was always connected and I connected it to the holley as well,
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Gun Jam

if its not a carb issue adding a new carb particularly a holly on top of your current issue is going to be a nightmare. Im afraid that you have added an additional issue (a carb that isn't tuned) The holley 4150 is an amazing carb but it does take some time to tune. If you have an issue outside the carb then you cant tune it and now you have additional issues.

If the issue is getting worse then its either further degradation of the fuel system (still first thing on the list to check) OR we can now re-investigate ignition system.

-Gun
Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Serge1965

Well the car starts like nothing was ever wrong, I'm not sure if that helps y'all, It really only starts being problematic at 2000+ rpms
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

what would help is if you answer the questions that are asked and do the things that are suggested.

you still have not told me if you have an msd ignition and you have not doe what i suggested with the timing check.

i am talking about an aftermarket ignition box not the distributor. the box will be red or yellow around 2" high by 6 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide

report back your findings after you do the timing stuff.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-09-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Serge1965

Originally Posted by barnett468
what would help is if you answer the questions that are asked and do the things that are suggested.

you still have not told me if you have an msd ignition and you have not doe what i suggested with the timing check.

i am talking about an aftermarket ignition box not the distributor. the box will be red or yellow around 2" high by 6 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide

report back your findings after you do the timing stuff.
Okay, I thought you were talkig about the distributor, no I definetly do not have a MSD ignition or any other ignition box. I'll check the timing agian today
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Serge1965

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
okay so here is a solution that actually fits the symptoms. Is it correct? Who knows but its worth looking into

It gets to 70 and falls on its face.

You threw a bunch of possible solutions at it and it made no difference.

Lets go back to basics...if it runs okay below 70 we can rule out any ignition component (at lest for now)

We'll rule out valve and rotating assembly crap (at least for now)

We'll rule out carbs (for now) and all top end junk

It idles great at an acceptable fuel mix setting and idle curb speed setting on the carb? Yes okay lets rule out vac leaks too (for now)

So its a fuel delivery problem...You have a blocked fuel line, pinched fuel line...a fuel restriction or a bad fuel pump that was replaced with a new bad fuel pump.

1) Remove fuel line from the carb and place it in a glass jar like a 1qt canning jar
2) Have a buddy crank over the engine but try not to start it (dont active the accelerator pumps)
3) fuel should rush out of the line and fill the jar with at least a cup of fuel before you can yell at him to stop it should attempt to make a mess. Place your finger over the line it should produce 6lbs of fuel pressure and you should be able to spray the fuel into the jar like a garden hose.

If fuel pressure is too low or volume is too low thats your problem (for example you crank the engine over and after 3 seconds you get only 4oz of fuel. )

If fuel pressure is too high (7+lbs) it can unseat the needles particularly at higher speed and flood the engine make sure your fuel pump is rated at 6.5lbs

Try this let me know

-Gun
Well the fuel pressures good right at 6lbs, what else on the ignition should I check?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I had a very similar situation on my 64 Fairlane.

On those older Fords there is a length of hose about 4" long between the fuel tank and the hard line. The inside of that length of hose crystalized, for lack of a better word, and the car would run ok until I hit highway speeds then it would fall on its face. Replaced the hose and I was back in bidness.

It doesn't cost a nickle to check so you might want to give that a peek.

Quick Reply: 289 problems, please help!!