Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Blown Head Gasket on my 66

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Sparagna

Default Blown Head Gasket on my 66

hello everyone,
I am having quite a bit of trouble with my 66 289 and have heard everything for an answer from a bad thermostat to a cracked block. Here are the issues, about two weeks ago the exhaust started spitting a thin white smoke not a lot but constant it has a lot of water coming out of the exhaust too. then i got the oil changed about a week ago and changed from petroleum to synthetic then the car started overheating that night which was weird because if anything it should be cooler. it got so hot so quickly that after a 10 minute drive i stopped to get gas and the car wouldn't start again because the gas would squirt into the carburetor but the carb would be so hot it would boil it away before allowing the engine to start. i don't know if it matters but the exhaust has a pinprick leak in one of the pipes next to the muffler that was going to be fixed soon. i tried running the car with the radiator cap off and it was strange the car ran for 15 min at very cool temps then another 5 min in and it was still fairly cool but the radiator was boiling the antifreeze. The oil dipstick does not have any foam or bubbles and is not discolored. now i am hoping it is a simple fix but the most likely issue I can figure is a blown head gasket, the best is a bad thermostat, and the worst is a cracked block. As this is so varied i figured i would post the issue here and see if anyone knew anything about this situation. anything is appreciated thank you
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

pull the head, get it checked for cracks, get a valve job done, get it surfaced reinstall it with a fel pro high performance $28.00 gasket.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

you have not given enough info here.
Are you losing water?
Why did you have the cap off?
When the cap was off, did you need to add water?
what color was the coolant?
Was it clean or is i rusty?
Have you had cooling issues before?
have you worked on it recently?
were you sitting in traffic not moving or was the car actually moving when it over heated?
is the exhaust smoking or is it steam?
Did you see any fine oil droplets in the coolant?

get a clear jar and remove the oil plus and let about 6 OZ. of oil out. inspect it and look for water. just using the dip stick is not a good indicator. oil floats and the dip stick does not go to the bottom of the pan. You could have water down there and not even know it.