Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 re-wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Al P

Question 66 re-wire

Hi, I am undertaking a complete renovation , bare metal re-spray of my first Mustang. A 66 coupe. A code 289, T5 box.
The wiring just has to go, so having researched things, there seem a few complete loom sets are available, but with subtle differences and implications.
PLEASE, ONLY IF YOU HAVE 1st HAND EXPERIENCE. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks, Al
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

I used OEM replacements on my 66. I think for the money, if your looking for a one stop solution, the painless kit is probably the best one out there form a quality and technical perspective if your are looking for circuit growth. Otherwise use an OEM style harness from NPD or the like
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

buy oem style. i have used them all several times the painless kit is called the "painful" kit. oem has worked in it for 49 years whats the problem with it. the painful kit uses the exact same copper in their wires as ford did 49 years ago.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Gun Jam

Dont worry buddy!

As far as pain goes neither of the above kits have crap on Lucas
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Unless you are just customizing the p-mortal crap out of your electrical system I'd go OEM. I've used Painless before to rewire a jeep but there was nothing stock about that electrical system.

If you use OEM harnesses then the color coding on your shop manuals will still be relevant and everything will be where it is supposed to be.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Dont worry buddy!

As far as pain goes neither of the above kits have crap on Lucas
The Prince Of Darkness.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I used Ron Francis and have no regrets. With aftermarket, you can run the wires as you like. Almost all of my wiring runs under the fender as opposed to through the engine compartment. Much cleaner look, IMHO.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I too am undertaking the same issue on my 66 coupe once it gets out of paint. A well known autowiring shop in town gave me the best advise. He sees more Painless, AAW, and Ron Morris DIYs than you can imagine. Unless you know what you're doing, avoid them. Use an OEM color coded, with appropriate connectors to do your rewire. Its a plug and play scenario. THe big three previously mentioned ARE NOT plug and play or do not color match OEM regardless what they advertise. If you plan to add A/C, Injection, Stereo, add a 6-8 circuit after market relay panel and fuse box completely seperate from the existing and run your new equipment to it, do not tap into the existing.

Last edited by groho; 04-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Al P

Thanks Guys for your responses. Its taken this long to get the body ready for its colour coat. But its looking good!
The general consensus seems to be suggesting I go OEM (or OEM style?)
The only harnesses I have found to research and buy are Painless or AAW from people like CJ ponyparts or California mustang.
Who sells OEM style harnesses please ? Regards Al
Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Tell CJ's you want a OE style harness, same color code, and connectors. As I mentioned to my mustang shop, if the OE wiring diagram states a yellow/red wire, then I expect to see a yellow/red wire in the new harness. (there's no way in he!! I'm gonna remember custom wiring 5 years from now, so I want it to match the factory electrical diagrams so I can go directly to the drawings without trying to second guess myself) You'll be ordering three sections, 1) the engine compartment, 2) the rear lighting, 3) interior. It runs roughly $600 for everything. CJ's is probably you're best option. If you want to add something else down the road like A/C, LED lighting, electric fans, then you can add a sub-panel specifically for those items without splicing the factory wiring.

Last edited by groho; 08-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 66 re-wire