Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


66 re-wire

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 AM   #1
Al P
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 66 coupe 289 4v
Location: England
Posts: 6
Question 66 re-wire

Hi, I am undertaking a complete renovation , bare metal re-spray of my first Mustang. A 66 coupe. A code 289, T5 box.
The wiring just has to go, so having researched things, there seem a few complete loom sets are available, but with subtle differences and implications.
PLEASE, ONLY IF YOU HAVE 1st HAND EXPERIENCE. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks, Al
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Al P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
jlg2002
4th Gear Member
 
jlg2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1966 Mustange coupe
Location: Fontana, California
Posts: 1,481
Default

I used OEM replacements on my 66. I think for the money, if your looking for a one stop solution, the painless kit is probably the best one out there form a quality and technical perspective if your are looking for circuit growth. Otherwise use an OEM style harness from NPD or the like
__________________
66 "C" code coupe bench seat
jlg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
barnett468
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 1965 shelby
Location: arizona
Posts: 970
Default

buy oem style. i have used them all several times the painless kit is called the "painful" kit. oem has worked in it for 49 years whats the problem with it. the painful kit uses the exact same copper in their wires as ford did 49 years ago.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Gun Jam
Moderator
 
Gun Jam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hills of California
Posts: 4,423
Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam
Default

Dont worry buddy!

As far as pain goes neither of the above kits have crap on Lucas
__________________

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn
 
fastbackford351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,995
Default

Unless you are just customizing the p-mortal crap out of your electrical system I'd go OEM. I've used Painless before to rewire a jeep but there was nothing stock about that electrical system.

If you use OEM harnesses then the color coding on your shop manuals will still be relevant and everything will be where it is supposed to be.
__________________
Government Warning:

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.
fastbackford351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
barnett468
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 1965 shelby
Location: arizona
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
Dont worry buddy!

As far as pain goes neither of the above kits have crap on Lucas
The Prince Of Darkness.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Coupe
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,691
Default

I used Ron Francis and have no regrets. With aftermarket, you can run the wires as you like. Almost all of my wiring runs under the fender as opposed to through the engine compartment. Much cleaner look, IMHO.
__________________
1966 Mustang Coupe
302 w/ T-5
TexasAxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
groho
4th Gear Member
 
groho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,122
Default

I too am undertaking the same issue on my 66 coupe once it gets out of paint. A well known autowiring shop in town gave me the best advise. He sees more Painless, AAW, and Ron Morris DIYs than you can imagine. Unless you know what you're doing, avoid them. Use an OEM color coded, with appropriate connectors to do your rewire. Its a plug and play scenario. THe big three previously mentioned ARE NOT plug and play or do not color match OEM regardless what they advertise. If you plan to add A/C, Injection, Stereo, add a 6-8 circuit after market relay panel and fuse box completely seperate from the existing and run your new equipment to it, do not tap into the existing.

Last edited by groho; 04-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Al P
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 66 coupe 289 4v
Location: England
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks Guys for your responses. Its taken this long to get the body ready for its colour coat. But its looking good!
The general consensus seems to be suggesting I go OEM (or OEM style?)
The only harnesses I have found to research and buy are Painless or AAW from people like CJ ponyparts or California mustang.
Who sells OEM style harnesses please ? Regards Al
Al P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
groho
4th Gear Member
 
groho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,122
Default

Tell CJ's you want a OE style harness, same color code, and connectors. As I mentioned to my mustang shop, if the OE wiring diagram states a yellow/red wire, then I expect to see a yellow/red wire in the new harness. (there's no way in he!! I'm gonna remember custom wiring 5 years from now, so I want it to match the factory electrical diagrams so I can go directly to the drawings without trying to second guess myself) You'll be ordering three sections, 1) the engine compartment, 2) the rear lighting, 3) interior. It runs roughly $600 for everything. CJ's is probably you're best option. If you want to add something else down the road like A/C, LED lighting, electric fans, then you can add a sub-panel specifically for those items without splicing the factory wiring.

Last edited by groho; 08-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member
 
LynnBob Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1999 GT, 1965 coupe
Location: PA
Posts: 2,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by groho View Post
A well known autowiring shop in town gave me the best advise. He sees more Painless, AAW, and Ron Morris DIYs than you can imagine. Unless you know what you're doing, avoid them. Use an OEM color coded, with appropriate connectors to do your rewire. Its a plug and play scenario. THe big three previously mentioned ARE NOT plug and play or do not color match OEM regardless what they advertise. If you plan to add A/C, Injection, Stereo, add a 6-8 circuit after market relay panel and fuse box completely seperate from the existing and run your new equipment to it, do not tap into the existing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groho View Post
Tell CJ's you want a OE style harness, same color code, and connectors. As I mentioned to my mustang shop, if the OE wiring diagram states a yellow/red wire, then I expect to see a yellow/red wire in the new harness. (there's no way in he!! I'm gonna remember custom wiring 5 years from now, so I want it to match the factory electrical diagrams so I can go directly to the drawings without trying to second guess myself

I went with AAW and never looked back.

The kit is easy to work with, I never done this in my life and it is easy to work with if you take your time and use common sense. If you can read and navigate a map, and use a set of crimpers your golden.

The OE colored wires are overrated.

The AAW wires may not match OE wires color but they are marked every few inchs as to what they go to, rear tail lights, rear tail lights, head lights, head lights, back up lights, back up lights, ground, ground,.. ETC for every single wire...

It could not be easier, If you get that wrong, you shouldn't be touching any wiring anyway, you can't screw it up unless your not good at installing things.

You will also know years from now what wire goes to what as every single wire is spelled out as to what it is and what and where it goes.

With the AAW kit you got regular new fuses, better and heavier wires to run better bulbs up front, LEDS for all of the parking and braking lights. Custom route your wires if you want a cleaner appearance.

There are tooooo many positives that out weight the negative as to not get the AAW kit. If you follow and look at the AAW installation guide at CJ Pony's site, it gives you incite on what is involved.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-a...uctions/a/324/

Is it true plug and play? no. Is it easy? It is if you got common sense and use your head.

You can see some of my install in my sig of our '65 coupe build.

Go AAW and don't look back.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-...966/p/WHC6466/
Lynn
__________________

'99 GT automatic
CDC Shaker scoop, K&N Filter
MAC cat back
Max Speed 1 ˝” Lowering springs
KYB GR2 shocks and struts
Cobra front brakes

'65 Mustang coupe in progress
http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...s-of-pics.html

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 08-25-2014 at 08:58 PM.
LynnBob Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Stoke
 
Stoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 1970 Ford Mustang Coupe
Location: Texas
Posts: 12
Default

I had my original wiring harness reworked and it came out very nice. Randy does a good job and will let you know if something in your harness needs to be replaced or if you need to get a new one. He goes through it wire by wire to make sure it is working. I had mine back in two weeks and it was a lot less expensive than any of the other options. The only thing that I had to buy new was a new altenator harness since mine had been spliced several times. Check out his website and decide for yourself.

http://midlife66.com/harnesses
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Coupe
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,691
Default

I agree with LynnBob, aftermarket wiring has too many positives to ignore.
__________________
1966 Mustang Coupe
302 w/ T-5
TexasAxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
Al P
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 66 coupe 289 4v
Location: England
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang View Post
I went with AAW and never looked back.

The kit is easy to work with, I never done this in my life and it is easy to work with if you take your time and use common sense. If you can read and navigate a map, and use a set of crimpers your golden.

The OE colored wires are overrated.

The AAW wires may not match OE wires color but they are marked every few inchs as to what they go to, rear tail lights, rear tail lights, head lights, head lights, back up lights, back up lights, ground, ground,.. ETC for every single wire...

It could not be easier, If you get that wrong, you shouldn't be touching any wiring anyway, you can't screw it up unless your not good at installing things.

You will also know years from now what wire goes to what as every single wire is spelled out as to what it is and what and where it goes.

With the AAW kit you got regular new fuses, better and heavier wires to run better bulbs up front, LEDS for all of the parking and braking lights. Custom route your wires if you want a cleaner appearance.

There are tooooo many positives that out weight the negative as to not get the AAW kit. If you follow and look at the AAW installation guide at CJ Pony's site, it gives you incite on what is involved.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-a...uctions/a/324/

Is it true plug and play? no. Is it easy? It is if you got common sense and use your head.

You can see some of my install in my sig of our '65 coupe build.

Go AAW and don't look back.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/american-...966/p/WHC6466/
Lynn
Thanks for these comments, I did find the AAW kit initially attractive, but hit a stumbling block on the following.
1:They specifically state it supports single wire alternator only. prob is I have a new uprated but original style multi wire alt. with new voltage regulator.
There are hundreds of discussion threads on the web most coming to the conclusion that the "simpler" single wire is not in fact an improvement.
2:It does not support an ammeter. I don't like dials that don't work, especially important ones.
3: there is a review (yet to be verified) that advises it does not have a connection for the 3 speed heater blower???
Has anybody got around these?
Thanks, Al
Al P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
Al P
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 66 coupe 289 4v
Location: England
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAxMan View Post
I agree with LynnBob, aftermarket wiring has too many positives to ignore.
Thanks but can you look at my comments to LynnBob re single wire alternator, ammeter and heater fan?
Thanks.
Al P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
barnett468
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 1965 shelby
Location: arizona
Posts: 970
Default

.
ARE YOU STILL UNDECIDED ON WHAT WIRING KIT TO GET?

IF SO, WHAT DO YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT AN ORIGINAL STYLE SYSTEM THAT HAS WORKED FLAWLESLY FOR 50 YEARS IN MANY, MANY CASES?
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member
 
LynnBob Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1999 GT, 1965 coupe
Location: PA
Posts: 2,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
Thanks for these comments, I did find the AAW kit initially attractive, but hit a stumbling block on the following.
1:They specifically state it supports single wire alternator only. prob is I have a new uprated but original style multi wire alt. with new voltage regulator.
There are hundreds of discussion threads on the web most coming to the conclusion that the "simpler" single wire is not in fact an improvement.
2:It does not support an ammeter. I don't like dials that don't work, especially important ones.
3: there is a review (yet to be verified) that advises it does not have a connection for the 3 speed heater blower???
Has anybody got around these?
Thanks, Al
1) The reason the AAW only supports the single wire alt is that some of the single wire alts are larger heavier duty units and are better able to help the battery recover from the larger power draws of today's new stronger electrics such as stronger front head lights, LED parking and brake light systems, high power entertainment systems, modern AC systems, and other bigger power drawers that are available for these cars.

The old style wires, new OE style harness or used old harness , aren't heavy enough to handle some of these systems without being overloaded and burn up wires and you may have issues should you decide to add any of these in the future. You may also have to run extra wires should you decided to run LED lights.

The AAW kit makes this already to use for your stock set up or it is ready for future updates without doing anything should you decide to do any later.

The one wire also reduces clutter in the engine bay and making it look cleaner by not having extra wires running around and having the voltage regulator bolted to the core support, or where ever it is bolted to.

So YES, the one wire has it's advantages even if it only reduces engine bay clutter and makes it look cleaner by having less wires running around and parts bolted to the bay area.

2) not sure on the ammeter.

3) Without looking at my directions, I'm 99% sure it tells you how to wire a 3 speed, it just doesn't give you the wires to do so. Not a big deal, if I remember right, and it gives you a diagram on how to do it and it is a piece of cake.

HTH,
Lynn
__________________

'99 GT automatic
CDC Shaker scoop, K&N Filter
MAC cat back
Max Speed 1 ˝” Lowering springs
KYB GR2 shocks and struts
Cobra front brakes

'65 Mustang coupe in progress
http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...s-of-pics.html
LynnBob Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
Al P
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 66 coupe 289 4v
Location: England
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
.
ARE YOU STILL UNDECIDED ON WHAT WIRING KIT TO GET?

IF SO, WHAT DO YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT AN ORIGINAL STYLE SYSTEM THAT HAS WORKED FLAWLESLY FOR 50 YEARS IN MANY, MANY CASES?
I have nothing in principal, but who sells them. The main suppliers seem to focus on Painless and AAW. there must be a reason for that, as many fit them.
I have not found a complete kit to consider so please point me in the right direction.

Oh, what do I have against the old system. Well I believe its needs tweaking (not a great problem) for a number of reasons to make it safer and more reliable. But then this is my first Mustang, so I am happy to stand corrected.
More powerful and safer headlights that don't cycle on and off,
An uprated alternator to improve battery life and avoid dimming lights.
A fuse box with better protected and isolated circuits, that you can access easily in an emergency ( like when a fuse goes or something doesn't work)Slightly heavier cable core on a few of the key runs that carry heavier currents like modern headlights and uprated alternator.
As I said I would like to consider an OEM style kit but nobody appears to name the manufacturer/ suppliers, Can you please?
Thanks Al
Al P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
barnett468
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 1965 shelby
Location: arizona
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
I have nothing in principal, but who sells them. The main suppliers seem to focus on Painless and AAW. there must be a reason for that, as many fit them.
The name is "painful" wiring and the shops make a higher margin on them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
Oh, what do I have against the old system. Well I believe its needs tweaking (not a great problem) for a number of reasons to make it safer and more reliable. But then this is my first Mustang, so I am happy to stand corrected.

More powerful and safer headlights that don't cycle on and off,
you can run dot approved halogens with stock wiring from now until kingdom come.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
An uprated alternator to improve battery life and avoid dimming lights.
the lites only dim at idle and a slightly higher amp alt will cure this and will plug into the stock system.

if you want to run a 50,000 jigawat alt and are concerned about the size of the charging wire, you only need to replace 1 wire.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
A fuse box with better protected and isolated circuits,
there really isn't such a thing exactly. if you want to add non orig options and want individual fuses for those, you can simply buy an auxiliary fuse box for around 20.00.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
As I said I would like to consider an OEM style kit but nobody appears to name the manufacturer/ suppliers, Can you please?
Thanks Al
i am not aware of a complete oem kit, however, all the wiring is available separately.
scott drake makes oem wiring.

all the mustang ships sell oem wiring. below is just one.

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/st...es-2985-2.html
.

Last edited by barnett468; 09-01-2014 at 08:24 PM.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Coupe
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
Thanks but can you look at my comments to LynnBob re single wire alternator, ammeter and heater fan?
Thanks.
I know the Ron Francis kit can work with either alternator, and can use the factory ammeter. Not sure about the heater fan, I used a Vintage Air kit.
__________________
1966 Mustang Coupe
302 w/ T-5
TexasAxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
new electrics, new loom, re wire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup