Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

issues with c6 transmission in my 67 mustang

Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 PM
dabmajor

Default issues with c6 transmission in my 67 mustang

Okay do I just did my first swap. And the transmission doesn't move the car at all.

So here is the run down.

I put a 302 and a c6 in my mustang. The motor I bought originally had a manual on it and I forgot to remove the pilot bearing before installing the transmission. Luckily I noticed before trying too too hard to force it but I'm concerned it might have already done some damage. No I didn't know what I was doing and had no help so I was playing it by ear lol.

When I start the car the transmission doesn't seem to make any racket, I get a positive click through all gears. The transmission took forever to fill with fluid which makes me think it's not pumping fluid. I know the transmission was sitting for several years with no use at all.

What would be your next troubleshooting steps? Is it possible I need something else for the gears to engage? Does it take a while for the torque converter to fill? If the pump was broke wouldn't it be making a lot of noise?

I'm going to drop the pan saturday and check to see if the filter is all gummed up or something from sitting around. If the pump is shot is it something very difficult to replace without any crazy special tools? Lol
Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

How much fluid have you put in it?
A C6 will hold upwards of 3 gallons of oil.

Did you fill the torque converter before installation?

Did you have the torque converter fully engaged into the front pump when you were installing the trans?

How hard is too too hard?
You should have been able to get the bell housing to within ½" of the engine block before tightening down on the bolts.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the torque converter would never touch the pilot bearing. it is not a prob.

just exactly did you connect a c6 to a 302 bell housing?

did the tranny work for sure before?

you need to put oil in the torque converter first, did you do that?

remove one hose trans hose from the radiator with a piece of rubber hose on it directing it into a pan.

start the engine.

if it does not squirt a lot of oil, you have a prob.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-18-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Between my brother and I, we have been running the same C6 in the fastback behind numerous 302/351W's for almost 30 years. We've roasted the hell out of some motors but the trans has only been apart twice to be refreshed.

My buddy who built it the last time told me that that was it for this transmission because while it was still barely within specs this time that more than likely it won't be by the next time it needs attention.

What kind of mount did you use to put the C6 behind the small block in a '67?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

You did bolt the torque converter to the flexplate, right?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 PM
dabmajor

Torque converter definitely secured to the flexplate. I would say I've added 9 quarts to it so far and it already had a couple in the pan left over from before. I did not prefill the torque converter as most of my research has pointed towards not prefilling the TC.

I did get the TC in all the way and it all fit together super nice (after removing the clutch pilot bearing) lol then the TC hit the clutch pilot before there was about a half an in to go before the bellhousing would touch the block. I tried Bolting down pretty hard until I realized that it wasn't moving at all. At that point I realized I forgot to remove thst stupid bearing and pulled it all back apart

As for the mount I used a universal mount and it went In there like a dream I was actually surprised at how easily it all fit.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM
dabmajor

Is it true that the tc is the first thing to be filled by the pump? I will go mess with it tomorrow afternoon and update immediately after. I want to thank everyone for the responses as this is my first time using a forum
Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dabmajor
I did get the TC in all the way and it all fit together super nice (after removing the clutch pilot bearing) lol then the TC hit the clutch pilot before there was about a half an in to go before the bellhousing would touch the block.
what in the world are you talking about?

here's what you said.

1. it hit the pilot braring [thats simply impossible if it is installed correctly].

2. you removed the pilot bearing and it fit fine.

3. then it hit the pilot bearing.

how can it hit a pilot bearing that you removed?

does your car have a nitrous leak?

Last edited by barnett468; 04-18-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 AM
dabmajor

Originally Posted by barnett468
what in the world are you talking about?

here's what you said.

1. it hit the pilot braring [thats simply impossible if it is installed correctly].

2. you removed the pilot bearing and it fit fine.

3. then it hit the pilot bearing.

how can it hit a pilot bearing that you removed?

does your car have a nitrous leak?

Obviously it is no longer hitting the clutch pilot bearing now that this has been removed. As yes, the torque converter will hit the clutch pilot bearing as it should only be there for a manual transmission application. And no, I think that nitrous was coming from the cab of your car. =)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
dabmajor

I think the reason for the confusion is that I was trying to answer 2 separate questions at one time =) I should have separated the sentences better to avoid possible confusion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: issues with c6 transmission in my 67 mustang