Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Mustang Words of wisdom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Default 65 Mustang Words of wisdom?

Howdy, I have a 65 mustang that I love dearly. I bought it for 4200 dollars. I put an msd system, new plug wires, edelbrock intake and carbuerator, new dual exhaust pipe with tri y headers, new tailights, gas tank, headlights, dual master cylinder, front disc brake conversion kit, floor pans, rear valance with exhaust cut outs and exhaust tips from gt, monte carlo bar, new bumpers front and rear. I am into it roughly 7200 dollars and it still hasnt been painted and needs all new interior. I talked to a friend today and he said that it wouldnt be worth 7000 with a new paint job and interior. Have I screwed myself over? If Im already in the whole and the car wont be worth it even when its finished then what should I do. Its caspian blue with white interior which is a more rare option. Please help I am feeling down. I will take pictures once the rain stops.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Without inspecting the car, it is difficult to establish what it would be worth with a paint job and fresh interior. Properly done, however, I would think the Mustang in question should be worth more than $7,000.00, possible by quite a wide margin.
Best,
Al
Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 AM
woodvette
1st Gear Member

are you fixing this car up to sell for profit or for yourself to have fun with? if it is for yourself, who cares how much it costs and is worth it as long as you are enjoying it.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

A nicely done '65 coupe should be in the $12-18k range, depending on the quality of the paint (mostly). A fastback will go higher.

But, like said, if it's a keeper, don't worry about it, make it nice. Trying to restore a car to flip is difficult to make any money at unless you have a shop and the right talent.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

BTW, I have more in my car than it's worth ...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Thanks for answering. I know that I cant even put a price on how much I am learning. This is a really sharp car. It has 0 cowl rust on the original cowl . The only place with rust was the floor pans which are being completely replaced. You are all right. I cant put a price on what I have learned and how much fun it is coming home to it everyday. You guys made me happy.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you got into restoring a Mustang expecting not to come out on the short end of the stick then....

well....

Welcome to the club.

But who cares? If you can afford it and the car makes you grin like an idiot and you enjoy it then enjoy it for what it is and just realize that it's a **** poor retirement plan.

The best way to have a Mustang worth 10,000 is to spend 15,000 on it.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

find a new friend!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I don't ever go into it thinking I'll get money back. Its ingrained into me from racing so much. I build what I want and drive it, and if somebody offers me enough to fund whatever the next project is then its goodbye car, hello new project.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

my 66 coupe is in paint right now as we speak, by the time I'm done, I'll have $17K in paint, motor, tranny, and interior, wiring, suspension, subframe, metal work, rear end, etc. (I've done all the work, except the paint) Anyone that's been watching the car market is seeing these 64-70 mustangs go up in value. I've been seeing coupes at auction for $13-14K easy, but that's talking a rust free, well built machine. If someone offered me $7K for my current shell and parts, I'd laugh at em and tell em go find a rust bucket, any rust bucket, and fix it yourself. Better yet, pay someone to do it, and see how much it costs. Alot of these weenies don't have a clue of the work necessary to recover, or restore an older car and I'm not talking a cheap paint job and a ton of armorall like these car flippers do on TV. A GOOD paint job is more than $7K by itself.

Its easy to spot the well built cars vs a polished turd. I'll happily sell my coupe when it's done, just have enough cash and don't embarrass yourself.

Last edited by groho; 05-16-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 65 Mustang Words of wisdom?