Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What do i need to pump up my 351W?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Steffan

Default What do i need to pump up my 351W?

Hi Guys,

Note: This is my first time trying to get more performance out of an engine, so I know absolutely nothing about it. I have a mechanic helping me changing the parts though.

I just got myself a '70 Mach 1, and really happy with it. except for one thing.. it's so freaking slow... has ~200HP.

Engine is stock. except for the intake manifold (Edelbrock #7581, RPM air-gap) and the carburetor (some new edelbrock 750CFM)

I want to get the engine to about 400-450HP, and I found that the Edelbrock top end kit #2090 would get me there (443 HP)

Note: On Edelbrock's website I found the following writing: "Because of the high rpm (above 5500) capabilities of this package, a high-volume oil pump, adjustable rocker arms & high-performance pistons with 9.5:1 compression are recommended."

The questions I have:
  1. Is the Edelbrock top-end kit #2090 the best choice for my stock 351W?
  2. The kit does not include the lifters, which ones would be a great set for this top end kit? I found Edelbrock #97453, are they any good for this?
  3. The top end kit does also not include Rocker arms, do I need a set to replace the stock ones, or are stock good enough? (are Edelbrock #77780 what I need? They are not "adjustable" which was recommended?)
  4. Do i need new pistons also?
  5. Do i need a new oil pump?
  6. Do i need anything else, that is not in my questions above?

If someone could tell me what i need, and why. I would really appreciate it!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Are you sure it's a W? They had C's as well in 1970.
How much compression is each cylinder providing?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Steffan

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
Are you sure it's a W? They had C's as well in 1970.
I'm sure. the water get connected to the front of the intake manifolt, and as far as i know. thats a W.
Correct me if i'm wrong please. All i know about this is what i read online.

I have a question besides what was in my first post too:
Can the stock FMX gearbox and the rest of the car handle 450HP without any modifications?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Steffan

Sorry, forgot to answer this in my last reply.
I have no idear. I have not done anything to the engine besides looking at it.
I will have to get my mechanic to check the compression for me if you need it. I can maybe get him to do it tomorrow morning
Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ya that's a Windsor
Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You need money.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

How many miles are on the current engine?

You're going to drop some serious coin either building or buying a 450hp motor so you don't want to start throwing money and parts cobbling together an engine that in the end probably won't deliver the power you want.

Since this is your first rodeo, by the time the smoke clears more than likely you will be dollars ahead just getting a healthy crate engine. The lack of aggravation would be worth the price difference alone.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:16 AM
Steffan

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
You need money.
And money i got.
Budget is ~$3500

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
How many miles are on the current engine?

You're going to drop some serious coin either building or buying a 450hp motor so you don't want to start throwing money and parts cobbling together an engine that in the end probably won't deliver the power you want.

Since this is your first rodeo, by the time the smoke clears more than likely you will be dollars ahead just getting a healthy crate engine. The lack of aggravation would be worth the price difference alone.
I do not know how many miles it got. But it looks like the engine is not that old, and i know it's not the engine that came with the car from the factory (same model though..) It starts great and runs great so i don't think it has that many miles on it..

I have a mechanic helping me change the parts, i just need to know what parts to get. Do you think its best for me to get a new crate engine instead?
Old 05-16-2014, 03:12 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

$3,500 is a stock rebuild basically.

If you want to build a 400hp small block, you're looking at closer to $10k to have someone else do it for you. In addition to something like the Eddy top end kit, you're going to need a fuel system to support it, all sorts of connecting hardware (cuz that stock **** won't fly), internals (I wouldn't use stock rods/pistons at that power level), and all the other nut and bolt crap you run into along the way that nickels and dimes you to the tune of $2k.

And that's just for the engine. At that power level you're also going to need a brake upgrade, chassis reinforcement, better suspension, transmission and rear end work.

So now your 400hp project just went up to around $15-20k.

Your best bet is probably a mild crate engine, and spend the rest of the money on other parts of the car. Brakes, chassis reinforcement (decent subframes) and suspension, probably in that order.

You need to seriously figure out what you want before you start doing anything, because whatever it is will cost a **** ton of money in the end. You'll be thousands ahead by not short circuiting yourself and jumping the gun on XYZ.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Steffan

I just checked the compression this morning, and it seems to be 9:1 The tools i was using for it MIGHT not have been 100% accurate, so i would guess 9:1 or 9,5:1

Quick Reply: What do i need to pump up my 351W?