Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help With Drum Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Harwich

Default Help With Drum Brake Issue

I am having an issue with my rear drum brakes and hopefully some one here can help.

I have a 65 coupe that had an 8 inch rear end installed when I bought it. The only thing on the rear end was the backplates and drums. I bought a shoe and spring kit, wheel cylinders, Parking brake link and spring, and auto adjustment kit. I installed all of this and the problem I have is that the shoes do not want to stay on the anchor pin. One or both shoes want to ride up above the anchor pin. I came across some references to an anchor ping guide so I ordered this part. http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com...chor-pin-guide .
This did not fit my 10 in drum correctly, I think it is for a 9 inch drum. I cannot find this part for 10 inch drums and am not really sure that is even the problem. What it comes down too is I don't know if I am missing a part or just not getting them installed/adjusted correctly. I can put it all together and the shoes are in place until I use the brakes a few times. Has anyone had a similar issue? Have any ideas/suggestions on what the problem might be?
Thank You
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

When everything is in place, and all springs and hardware is in place, the shoes will sit securely against the backing plate, even with the drum removed. If its not, then something is not right, you either have the wrong size shoes, or you have the springs wrong. The retaining pin for the shoes requires a half turn to lock the shoe in place against the backing plate. Another problem frequently seen, the foot for the backing plate, the raised area where the shoe slides back/forth against the plate, aften wares or gouges. You sometimes have to weld up those pads and file them down to get a good surface for the shoe to ride on.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Harwich

Groho, Thanks for your reply. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the shoe staying tight to the back plate. In fact when they get out of position I have to fight the retaining spring to pull them away from the back plate to get them back into position. Wear on the back plate could be an issue, I will have to pull the shoes and look at that. After some feedback on another forum I wonder if maybe I reversed the primary and secondary shoes. I am going to try to look at it tonight and post some pics of the brakes with the shoes out of position and when they are in the proper position.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Harwich

I pulled the tires and drums tonight. The driver side looks pretty good but the passenger side is off the anchor, but not as bad as it was doing earlier. Maybe I just need to adjust them more. Here are pics of the Passenger side.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails Help With Drum Brake Issue-20140602_215140.jpg   Help With Drum Brake Issue-20140602_215150.jpg   Help With Drum Brake Issue-20140602_215201.jpg   Help With Drum Brake Issue-20140602_215213.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

notice your second pic, the retaining cable from the upper anchor point to the lower adjuster is very loose. It looks like is slipped behind the turn-buckle, and not sitting in the groove. Otherwise the shoes look like they're in the correct locations. That cable is a PITA sometime and slips out of place. Thats the only thing I can see. Once you get that corrected, adjust your brakes outward so they barely engage the drum, and you should have it.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Harwich

Default Got it!

All,

I apologize for the late update. I was in the garage until late last night. I fixed the issue with the adjuster cable, loosened my e-brake, and readjusted the shoes. I adjusted the shoes worked the brake and adjusted the shoes again several times and then adjusted the e-brake again. I think I got it. Brakes work, emergency brake works and the shoes are staying on the anchor.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond with suggestions.I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. On to the next project.

Thank You