Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

PS and A/C Installation on Ford Racing 427

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 AM
SCfastback

Default PS and A/C Installation on Ford Racing 427

I just took delivery of a new Ford Racing 427 crate engine that I plan to install in my 1968 fastback. While the engine is out of the car, its a good time to test fit all of the accessories. I plan to upgrade the car to power steering with a kit from Borgeson and add A/C with a Hurricane kit from Old Air Products.

The challenge is going to be finding all the brackets, pulleys and fasteners to get all the systems installed. I've looked at several front drive systems which are very nice but run around $2,000 and will require additional parts like PS and A/C hoses since these systems put the pump and compressor in different locations on the drive systems.

So, I would like to try and mimic the original v belt setup on cars that came with PS and A/C. The crate engine has a four bolt damper and long style standard rotation water pump. Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Good luck on this one. The parts are out there, and there are many. Plan on spending 4 figures easy. I've been looking at P/S systems and rack and pinions for a couple of months. The set ups run anywhere from $1K for a manual rack to $4K for a TCP power rack. (yes, $4K with all the hardware). There are options. My advise, do your homework BEFORE you lay down a single penny, on anything. A serpentine setup will likely force you to change your radiator, and go to an electric fan for room. A p/s setup may force you to go aftermarket like KRC pumps (similar to a smaller saginaw TC type II) but will the hoses clear the exhaust, and then you need to determine if your clutch (if manual) Z bar clears the p/s components. A/C units, there are many, space will be your issue. The heck with it, mortgage the house, sell the kids, then go with a full TCP front end, the rest is little stuff. The latest fad like Borgeson or Flaming River does not necessarily means its the best fit or price. For example, Borgeson P/S units are only 16:1 at best. If you look, you can find roughly 14:1 for a similar price thats a direct bolt in. KRC and DSE make great small low pressure P/S pumps but there are better prices out there for similar.

Last edited by groho; 06-04-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:51 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Is your 427 a 351 bored and stroked to 427? or is it an FE 427?

I know that you said that you wanted original as possible....my FE 428 is a daily driver and I wanted durability and functionality...as well as a little cosmetic appeal. I went with a pulley set up from March. They were about $7-800 for the whole set, I got the pulley stuff for the power steering and AC. The pic below does not have the power steering hooked up (it's still in a box somewhere) and the AC mounts in the bracket right below the alternator.

Of course if your 427 isn't the FE big block then your set up might be a bit different.

Name:  Marchpulley_zps21202319.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  imagejpg1_zps171853e2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  imagejpg4_zpsba7a59c6.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  111.1 KB
Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I don't recommend the borgenson. I installed it in my 66 and do not like it at all. Stick with a rack and pinion.
It doesn't not work well with the factory pump. I ended up buying a saginaw and it helped by the turning is stiff and the return to center sucks.
I have a 302 but I purchased the march set up. It works well but I had to buy a new a/c comp. And hoses including a new manifold. I also had to do a E fan set up.

In the end it is all worth it though.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:17 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I might have to get a new AC pump as well. The March kit came with an AC pulley cover but it didn't come with the pulley. When I called March up, they told me that the pulleys are manufactured with the AC and that you really can't change them out. For the FE motors, you'll mount the AC just under the alternator. You can see in my second picture (above) that just under the alternator there is a bracket there for the AC.

James
Old 06-07-2014, 07:08 AM
SCfastback

Thanks for all the feedback and pictures.
I've come to the conclusion that I will end up with a box full of parts that I won't use. It's just the way projects like this works out.

I've decided to get the A/C system first and get that installed and then worry about the alternator and PS pump.

I have been looking at the various rack and pinion setups and they are nice but none are cheap. Have considered just installing a new manual box and be happy with that.
It all depends on how easy it is to get the PS pump installed on my engine.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:34 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Your engine is nothing unusual, all the stock ford stuff bolts right up. There is an under dash electric ps unit also.