Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wiring harness help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:48 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

Default Wiring harness help

Im looking for a complete wiring harness and have come across these two.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...rness-Kit.html

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...iring-Kit.html

Im leaning more towards the second one but wanted opinions on which might be better. Thnaks
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I'm familiar with electronics and wiring schematics because of my job. Color codes and schematics are critical to properly chasing electrical issues. A local auto electrical shop gave me some very good words of wisdom, "We see more owners who've used AAW, Morris, and Painless who can't finish an install or repair an ongoing electrical problem. To avoid problems down the road, we encourage the use of factory OE color coded harnesses and connectors. This makes it a plug and play install, and then install a separate subpanel specifically for fuel injection, A/C, stereos, etc. Never splice the existing factory wiring which is more than suitable for its purpose. Use the subpanel for high load items, never the factory harness." For the price you're looking at I purchased a complete wiring harness for the eng bay, dash, interior and rear, all OE color coded with connectors.

2 yrs from now there's no way I'm going to remember what's where or connected to what. AAW, Morris, and Painless do not match color code, though the wiring is labeled. I want to be able to pull out the schematic and see "yellow/red trace" and know exactly where its going and what it ties together.

Really, its a matter of preference and how comfortable you are with your electrical system and abilities. These are good quality harnesses, but remember, most are adaptions from GM wiring standards, or basic wiring design.

Last edited by groho; 06-04-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

yeah, what he said.

no and no. buy stock type harnesses. they have worked fine for the last 50 years.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I'm looking at this.

Midlife harnesses

The guy restores your original harness for $175
Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Stoke

I just got my harness back from Randy at Midlife and he did a great job on it. He kept me up to date on what was going on throughout the process and what he found and fixed on my harness. He recommended that I purchase a new Alternator harness due to the condition of my old one but he was able to go through the other harnesses and repair them. He only does this on the weekend so if you are in a hurry it might not work for you. I had mine back in 2 weeks and was pleased with the results.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I bought the harness for my 66 Fastback from Dallas Mustang. I didn't buy the complete kit, I decided to do it the hard way and buy several pieces at a time. I do not remember what brand they were, but i do remember them being OEM-like. I've never had a problem with them, they all fit perfectly and were routed by factory specs. Hope it helps.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Is a complete harness really needed? Are you going to change out the dash with an update? Replacing individual harnesses, one at a time, keeps the jobs simple and lets you finish one job before starting another. We have replaced several harnesses in the engine bay of our 67, but because we added a tach type dash and changed the engine from a 6 to an 87 302, we wanted to do a section at a time. Buying the originals keeps the color code and that really helps, when trying to get instruments to talk to the proper sender.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

What I said, only better!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Sean@RonFrancis

Hello,
I work at Ron Francis Wiring, a company who has been making complete wiring harnesses for over 40 years. I know that I am a bit late to the show, but I figured I would let you know about our wiring systems. While our system does not have OE colors, they are color coded and labeled every 5 inches so you will always know where they are going. Our kits also come with a general schematic that shows where everything goes.

Our kit is a simple step by step process, you simply read the instructions, choose a location for your panel and start working through our labeled bags. It also makes troubleshooting easy because you can test everything throughout the process.

We offer extra wire in each kit and all of the terminals you will need. Simply cut the wire down to size and crimp the terminals on in order to make it will fit perfectly into your car.

We also offer tech support for the life of the panel, so if you ever run into an issue, you can rest assured that we will do everything in our power to fix the issue.

If you are still in the market for a wiring harness, feel free to check out our website or give me a call at 1800-292-1940