Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Review: TMI One piece headliner for a 1965 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:52 PM
golferguy102

Default Review: TMI One piece headliner for a 1965 mustang

Hey guys, new to the site so bare with me.

Just picked up the TMI one piece headliner. I've been waiting for this come out for some time. I got the white moonskin vinyl, which again only was made available a few months ago. They had a teaser installation video out, but I was very pleased when they released this in depth one here:

Now, I'm in the middle of installing it, but have to wait for new windlace to arrive. Ill come back around to that.

Over all I'm pleased with the look, once you have the main piece up with clips, you can pretty much do it solo.

Things to watch out for:

In the video their rubber seal around the windshields is very pliable.. mine was not so. Original I'm pretty sure, hard as a rock and not as big. This made things pretty difficult, but not impossible. The tools I used for getting the main piece under were a plastic putty knife, that wasn't really effective on the hard rubber. What worked better was a long metal pick I had, once I got an edge under to start. My finger also worked, although it put some strain on it.

The tougher part that took a long time to figure out were the A and C pillar pieces. No matter what I could no get them under the bottom corners. What I found after trial and error was getting one of those metal paint can openers with the hooked edge to pry it up, worked wonders. But thats only part of it. You don't slide it in as one piece, you put the bottom edge of the pillar headliner in close to but not at the bottom (otherwise its impossible to get in), and then apply force from the top and side to slide it down into place, allowing you to get it all the way in. This was the only way I was able to do it. It will take some work.

You will probably need to trim some of the vinyl off the bottom of the C pillar headliner parts to fit, mine came much longer then necessary on the bottom.

It will take some more finagling to get the pillar pieces to fit over the main headliner in a pleasing manner.

Now about the windlace. I had already had a big long spool of windlace from NPD, thinking they only came in one size. Well I suppose I was wrong. It was pretty impossible to get it to fit over the pillar parts, as those are thicker than the main top headliner piece. So I called in to TMI, and they said they have a wider windlace that should fit, so I just ordered that today, will follow up.

** When you're installing the large main piece, check every so often to make sure the edges are equal along the sides (i.e. above the doors) so it isn't too long on one side, short on the other.

I haven't put the rear metal panels on yet, as I have to drill a hole in them to allow for the bolt that goes through the jamb for the upper part of my three piece seatbelts I've installed. So I don't know if that will cause me trouble yet either.

Any questions, feel free to shoot! Overall I'm pleased with how the quality, but some might not like how the pillar pieces simply overlap the roof headliner piece. Very simple steps however, which was what I wanted seeing as I had never installed an original headliner before.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Going to TMI next week while I'm in L.A. to order my stuff. Do they offer the one-piece in a different material? The only thing I've seen thus far is that pseudo suede material. Can you add a pic to this thread of your head liner? please.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

The headliner is offered in factory materials also.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 AM
1965brucewayne

Default Materials

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
The headliner is offered in factory materials also.
They don't offer the Moonskin vinyl anymore as I was told it was too heavy, I did however get the white Sierra Grain Vinyl. Also got a set of front and rear pony seats from them for $250 through eBay good deals!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Where do you attach the shoulder belts? I would like to have some in my car!

Thanks