Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can this crate engnine replace my 351w?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Steffan

Originally Posted by Starfury
If you can get someone local to build your engine, that's by far the better bet.
What would it cost me to get someone in the US (like you?) to build me a 450HP 408w stroker engine, including labor?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Why not a brand new FoMoCo crate engine?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Steffan

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Why not a brand new FoMoCo crate engine?
FoMoCo ?? link please
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp
Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Steffan

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
price my friend.. price..
I'm not shooting money out my *** you know
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hi. ok it is not 3650.00 us dollars to bore your block in denmark. . it is around 350.00 us dollars. . go to the local mustang club and ask who does their engines . . also ask for the name of a shop that sopecializes in old mustangs . . there is one called franks or petes garage or sommething. . tell him you are a friend of the guy in america that sold jacob the turquoise fastback and sold him the red corvette 427 convert. . tell us what they all say. . . 90.00 an hour is not bad . . it takes around 6 hours to assembkle an engine. . you can ship the eng or parts to sweden if you get them from the us then simply drive back accross the border. . but dont get caught without paper work etc. . . . . to the
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

When I lived in NY we'd go into Canada to get stuff and we'd have to clear customs. So we'd clean up a junk intake and paint it real nice and as we went across we'd claim an 'intake manifold'. Then we'd go get the new intake we wanted, ditch the other and when we came back we'd show the original 'intake' claim and we'd still have an intake so we'd be let through without issue. This was quite a few years ago, not sure it would work today and I'm not repsonsible if you try :-)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

"price my friend.. price..
I'm not shooting money out my *** you know"
Probably not, but when restoring classic cars it'll get pried out with a crowbar

Honestly, keep chasing leads, get to know other collectors, find the local car club and keep listening.

BTW, there's an old saying that's an old saying for a reason. Speed costs money how fast do you want to go. We all have to play budget games and determine what we really need vs what we really want. I have to do it with my racing, my son's racing and my street cars.

If it's too much $$ then save up longer and drive it as is for now. Buy/sell/swap something to get more $$, is there something you can do for side work? Since I have all my own equipment I do setup work and fabrication for other racers who can't, and I use that money to supplement my racing/car budget. Is there something you can do that's similar?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you think it's expensive now then just wait until you have to replace a cobbled together mess.

Fast, Cheap & Good...pick two.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 AM
Steffan

Originally Posted by barnett468
hi. ok it is not 3650.00 us dollars to bore your block in denmark. . it is around 350.00 us dollars. .
Sorry, bored and honet. i asked a mechanic what it would cost, and he told me ~20.000DKK (~$3650) if it had to be done good. Maybe his source is unreliable? how do you know what it costs?
I think i will call a company that does this next week to hear what their price is.

go to the local mustang club and ask who does their engines . . also ask for the name of a shop that sopecializes in old mustangs . . there is one called franks or petes garage or sommething. . tell him you are a friend of the guy in america that sold jacob the turquoise fastback and sold him the red corvette 427 convert. . tell us what they all say. . .
Mustang /muscle car in general clubs in Denmark are not big.. I'm part of the biggest mustang club in Denmark (has to be because of insurance won't cover car if i'm not..) but their forum is pretty much dead, not much respons from other members there. That's why i'm in here posting this.

Can't seem to find any garage named "petes or franks" there is Michaels garage? http://www.michaelsgarage.dk/

90.00 an hour is not bad . . it takes around 6 hours to assembkle an engine. . you can ship the eng or parts to sweden if you get them from the us then simply drive back accross the border. . but dont get caught without paper work etc. . . . . to the
Thought it took longer, but hey. i'm not an experienced engine builder myself

Sweden has the same tax rules as denmark regarding engine parts, 25% on engines/parts + 5% for zoll fee into europe.
Germany is only 19% + 5% however.. but it still makes everything too damn expensive when you consider the cost to get it here too.

Quick Reply: Can this crate engnine replace my 351w?