Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Original color ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 AM
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

Default Original color ?!?

hi !

i am in process to restore my 68 fastback. Come from the Marti report my original color was Sunlight gold...Does i have more value to put it back it's original color or can put a another original color like raven black !? what are you think about this choice to do....

Can someon can give me the color paint code for the
1. engine bay
2. pumpkin ( red epoxy ford )

thanks
very appreciate
Mathieu
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 AM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

If you are building the car to sell it and doing a correct restoration, it might make a difference. But if you are building the car for you to drive, I'd paint it the color you want. Red and black are always popular and show cars really well.

No help on the engine color. My car is a restomod and I haven't worried about original colors.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello;

it will be worth MORE and more sellable with the WRONG color. sunlit gold is not high on everybodys must have .list.

ENGINE BAY - If you use a gun, you can paint it GM chassis black.

You can also take straight black and flatten it around 30% but some flatteners these days make the paint a little rough.

If you are not going concourse but want it flashy/showy looking then flatten it 3% - 5%. Don't use straight gloss black.

RAVEN BLACK - This is the WORST black in the entire world. It is a bit gray because the formulae uses a lot of white. I use lexus or mercedes black a lot. If you use raven black, remove around 20% of the white toner so it does not look .like cr_p.

WATER BASE VS SOLVENT BASE - Use solvent bsse. the water base looks like cr_p on the sidetones.

If it is a rotisserie resto and you want the floors the orig color i use ppg red epoxy primer with 20% black primer so most closely simulate the orig shade. the pumpkin should be a slightly different color for concours.

The floor primer had a semi gloss sheen.

Last edited by barnett468; 06-23-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:34 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

+1 on Cashs Mom....Getting my coupe painted as we speak. The new colors are so much more vibrant and appealing than those 60's colors. If you're restoring, go ahead and get as close as you can to correct. Don't know what its like up north, but in CA, paint and body is a very environmentally controlled business, which means color matching with current techniques and paints. I chose a Mercedes Indigo Blue metallic which follows the silver-blue of the 66, but takes it up a notch or two. Absolutely get the engine bay and under side painted, you'll appreciate it later especially when you're working under the car.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
+1 on Cashs Mom....Getting my coupe painted as we speak. The new colors are so much more vibrant and appealing than those 60's colors. If you're restoring, go ahead and get as close as you can to correct. Don't know what its like up north, but in CA, paint and body is a very environmentally controlled business, which means color matching with current techniques and paints. I chose a Mercedes Indigo Blue metallic which follows the silver-blue of the 66, but takes it up a notch or two. Absolutely get the engine bay and under side painted, you'll appreciate it later especially when you're working under the car.
I had my coupe painted last year and I also chose a Mercedes color for mine. It's very close to Tahoe Turquoise, but is a richer color with a bit more blue to it called Beryl Metallic. The new colors are IMO a lot nicer than the 60's colors.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

My fastback was originally painted that same baby calf chit yellow. Mercifully the previous owner opted to change the hue.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
My fastback was originally painted that same baby calf chit yellow. Mercifully the previous owner opted to change the hue.
omg . . that is the worst color in the world lol.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

dont have a lot of people who like this sunlit gold ! lol maybe i will go with a black color.. thanks to everyone who help me !
Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mhubert89
dont have a lot of people who like this sunlit gold ! lol maybe i will go with a black color.. thanks to everyone who help me !
Black and red are always popular.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hi;

you can look online to see mustangs painted different colors. for blues you have.

1966 t bird blue special order, same as shelby.

1966 tahoe turquoise

1967 clear water aqua

1968 acapulco blue

1969 gulfstream aqua

1970 medium blue metallic

Quick Reply: Original color ?!?