Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can you swap parts from a 5.0 to a 67 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:08 AM
Mhegel

Default Can you swap parts from a 5.0 to a 67 coupe?

Just bought a 67 coupe that was originally a 6cyl and then converted to a 289. My question is. If I go out and find a wrecked 5.0 mustang and pull the parts off (motor, transmission, rear end, brakes, extra). Will I be able to swap the parts out with minimal hassle or would I need to source parts from a 67 v8?
Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

It's not that you couldn't use some parts from a 5.0 Mustang (very doubtful
), but you will need to find a rear axle assembly from a 67-70 Mustang, including the brakes, maybe a drive shaft, if your 6 cylinder was standard, V8 hubs, brakes and backing plates from a 65-69 Mustang for the front spindles.
Best,
Al
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

its not hard. it is a lot of work and reading.... but not hard. i did it with my 66
Old 06-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Mhegel

My next question is. My dad has a 68 cougar with a 289, would it be better to use the parts needed from that car?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:12 PM
rfturner5773

The 8.8 rear axle from a 87-93 Fox mustang is actually the same width as a 67 Mustang 8 or 9 inch. 94 and newer add an inch on each side but allow you to run late model offset wheel. You will need to cut off the quad shock brackets and weld on leaf perches and set proper pinion angle. This swap is actually an excellent upgrade as the 8.8 is a strong rear end and use the traction lock differential. You can usually find them with decent gear ratios from 3.08 to 3.13 for 200-300 bucks. Try to get an 8 or nine inch with gears and traction lock for that! The 8.8 also provides many options for disc brake add ons etc...

A late model roller 5.0 is a no brainer for an early model. Even better is an Explorer 5.0 with a valve spring upgrade an cam swap.

I have a 64.5 coupe with a 5.0 roller based 331 stroker, T5 and 8.8 rear end and factory bullit wheels.

In short late model Mustangs are a great source for drivetrain swaps into older Mustang.

Rob
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM
rfturner5773

Use a roller cam small block and don't look back!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

If you are looking for good results without re-inventing the wheel, the 1968 Cougar is your best bet, donor-wise. The 5.0 is by far your best bet for power, but the suspension from the Cougar needs no engineering or explanation.
Best,
Al
Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hi

make sure the donor car has 5 lug wheels. most the 5.0 donor cars had 4 lugs. you also need to weld on spring perches if it comes off a non leaf spring car.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Cougar suspension is not the same as the Mustang. There are minor differences, especially with the donee being a '67 Mustang, which is slightly different than a '68 Mustang.

As rfturner mentioned, the fox body 8.8 is a great swap for a '67-68 Mustang. However, it does take a little more resourcefulness. Like he said, you need to get leaf spring perches welded on at proper angles, and you also need to source a couple 5-lug axles and brakes from the proper year (and proper side) Aerostars or Rangers. The only 5-lug fox body cars were Cobra models, iirc. I doubt you're going to scavenge one of those.

The roller 5.0 is a good starting point for a motor build, but I personally wouldn't rely on one straight out of a fox, even if it ran well to begin with. I'd use it to build a good motor while you keep the one you've got in the car to get it around. If you're ambitious, you could scavenge the entire EFI system from a '90+ mass-air fox body. Previous speed-density systems aren't really worth the effort.

If you can find a fox with a T5, it can be swapped with relative ease. There are several companies that supply swap kits. Keep in mind, not all T5's are the same. You're looking for a World Class T5, which I believe came in '85+ V8 cars. Also keep in mind that T5's only put up with so much torque. If you plan on running doing high-rpm clutch drops with sticky tires, you'll either need to beef up the T5 (a la astroperformance), or think about a different tranny.

If your car is an automatic, you can also pirate an AOD out of a fox body. Again, this is a pretty simple conversion.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Since all Cougars are V8, there will be no issue using front hubs and brakes, front springs, rear axle assembly, and drive shaft in your conversion. True, the lower control arms and strut rods are different, but most everything else is the same, and you don't need to change those components. In addition, the 67 6 cylinder steering linkage is the same for 6 cyl and V8, including the spindles. All you need is the V8 5 lug hubs and brake hardware for the front.
Best,
Al

Quick Reply: Can you swap parts from a 5.0 to a 67 coupe?