Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM
motormitch

Default Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars

Hi,

I was directed to this forum by my friends at the Garage Journal who have been following a new business I have started that involved a 1968 Mustang Fastback. This is the shop build thread if you are interested in that sort of thing.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=199243

The business, Bloodshed Motors, is to combine leading edge electric dragster power trains into a limited production run of the most iconic vintage American muscle cars starting with what is, in my humble opinion, the most iconic of all. The 67/68 Fastback Mustangs. As I have been making progress on the first car, modeled Zombie 222, it was pointed out to me that I was not in fact the first person to do this and there was a member here named Sailfish11 who actually pioneered this as far back as 2009. I read his thread and my friend was right. Sailfish11, wherever you are, I tip my hat to you sir.

There are some differences in the exact approaches and the amount of performance we are trying for, but the vision is very close. I also plan to do it to all the famous cars over time.

Reading his thread leads me to believe that the group here might find my particular build interesting, so I will post a condensed version.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 PM
motormitch

Default Zombie 222 update

We started with a very clean 1968 Fastback out of Houston. It was rust free, original metal and had not collision damage. This is pretty musch the rule for any car will convert. That and I will not convert a rare car like a fullly loaded numbers matching s code.

We have been able to make all modifications in such a way that they can be reversed.

Here is the starting car for the first Zombie 222.

Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-blue-stang-1.jpg

Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-blue-stang-2.jpg
Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 PM
motormitch

Next step is drive train removal... 289, C4 tranny and 8" rear gone.

Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-engine-out.jpg

Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-engine-bay-mess.jpg
Old 07-20-2014, 01:48 PM
motormitch

I can't tell if my pictures are posting or not. I can't see them even though I am logged in the forum. I wonder if it is because I am so new to the group and not posted enough? Could someone reply to just tell me if you can see the pictures I have posted in the last two posts?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Pics show up for me. What are you planning for drive train and batteries?

Last edited by Chromeshadow; 07-20-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 AM
motormitch

Default Spec the new motors

Now pick the two new motors and couple them into one giant motor in a Siamese configuration pioneered by John Wayland and used in the White Zombie. Allen fabricated a quad motor mount system for the motors.
Attached Thumbnails Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-two-motors-2.jpg   Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-motors-hanging.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM
motormitch

Originally Posted by motormitch
Now pick the two new motors and couple them into one giant motor in a Siamese configuration pioneered by John Wayland and used in the White Zombie. Allen fabricated a quad motor mount system for the motors.
Warp 11s and Lithium Polymer batteries
Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM
motormitch

Default motors going in

Here they are going in and fitting like a glove....
Attached Thumbnails Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-motors-going-in.jpg   Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-motors-fit.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM
motormitch

Default hooking them up

Now let's start the wiring process and installed the massive Zilla controllers that can handle 400 volts and 2000amps each. Notice the controllers are positioned to look like valve covers as a salute to the big blocks...
Attached Thumbnails Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-motors-being-wired-by-john.jpg   Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-motors-installed.jpg   Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars-completed-motors.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Outstanding! It looks like you've got a great project going there. You're starting off with a car that's in a LOT better condition than mine was. That should make the conversion much easier and straight-forward. I was always trying to balance the restoration part of the project with the electric conversion part - put a lot of strain on my time and pocketbook.

It looks like you're putting together a DC system, correct? How many cells are you planning on using?

Quick Reply: Zombie 222 - Electric Super Muscle Cars