Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How difficult is reinstalling 4 speed transmission?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
DistantHorizon

Default How difficult is reinstalling 4 speed transmission?

I did a few forum searches and had no luck.

67 390 4-speed car, transmission no longer engages in 2nd or 4th gear... for several drives 4th didn't want to engage, shifter had to be shifted forcefully, then it didn't engage at all, a couple more drives and 2nd doesn't work either. Believe it is a toploader. Hurst shifter, I have followed instructions for adjusting it and no improvement.

I'm good at taking things apart (lol), but how difficult is it to align the transmission with the engine during reassembly? Never pulled an engine or transmission, I have only done suspension work on late model cars. Trying to determine whether I should sit this one out or let a shop do it.

I -may- have access to a lift; if I do, I assume I will need a way to support the rear of the engine to move the car off the lift while the transmission is being repaired. Ideas there?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

R&R of a toploader isn't bad at all. If you can unbolt and bolt things together, you're in good shape The shifter and linkage should be removed before trying to remove the tranny, and I would strongly consider replacing the clutch, throwout, and pilot bearings while you have everything apart.

I've never done it on a big block car, but a small block is fairly balanced on the mounts, and between those, the radiator hoses, and the exhaust, it's pretty well held in place while you roll the car.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello;

you can not do it alone.

if you replace the clutch you must align it properly with a $5.00 clutch alignment tool.

never ever let the trans just just hang off the eng once the bolts are removed. this can bend your center hub on the clutch disc.

put the trans in gear for installation.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Two people definitely makes life much easier. But the clutch alignment tool usually comes with a new clutch kit.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Sorry, forgot to mention that. Two people definitely makes life much easier. But the clutch alignment tool usually comes with a new clutch kit.
lol, hey mcleod NEVER gave me an alignment tool with their $400.00 clutches, the cheap skates. Which ones are you getting that gives them free?

yes, none of us always remembers everything. now what were we talking about?

distanthorizon;

one EXPERIENCED person can do it but its occasionally a pain even with two experienced people. since you are inexperienced, i know two people is far easier. sometimes they go right in, but sometimes...

one tip is to line it up as perfectly square to the bell housing as possible. with the exact angle and elevation but this takes a good eye and a bit or guessing because you can't always get your head high enough to see the trans directly from the side. seeing it from the bottom is easy.

a tranny guy can likely r and r it in around 1 1/2 hours once its on the rack but they might charge you $200.00 just to do it.

Last edited by barnett468; 07-24-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sorry, most of the run-of-the-mill factory-replacement clutch kits come with them Precision, Sachs, pioneer, etc.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM
DistantHorizon

Thanks for all the quick replies! I will kick it around, trying to balance amount of time I have, amount of money it'll cost, and how much I dislike mechanic'ing.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

ok, buy the way, you need a transmission jack.'
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM
DistantHorizon

Originally Posted by barnett468
ok, buy the way, you need a transmission jack.'
As in "this will be very difficult and I'll regret trying without one" if I don't have one?

My neighbor might have one.... otherwise it's $90 at Harbor Freight, which I'd certainly prefer to avoid.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 PM
DistantHorizon

I guess the other way of saying that is, if I can't get a tranny jack, I should just leave this one to my mechanic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How difficult is reinstalling 4 speed transmission?