Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

C4 Shifter options

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 PM
BDodson5.0

Default C4 Shifter options

Have a 66 mustang that has a c4 Transmission. Shifter is all types of jacked up as well as the linkage. Looking for some advice for a new shifter itself. I've only been able to find a B&M. Anybody have some suggestions to quality shifters. Would consider one with a boot that goes directly onto the carpet as well since the center console might not go back in.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

I've used one of the b & m shifters before, it was the z gate style one with a cable setup. I was not happy with it at all. I tried out the Hurst ratchet shifter and I was much more pleased with it . It an easy install too, you can get it done in a day or two.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 AM
BDodson5.0

Glad you informed me of the Z-Gate. It was the only one I've found so far, and was considering picking it up. I kinda want a pistol style grip, with a lever in the front to replace the conventional side button style shifter.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Default C4 and Ratchet Shifter

Originally Posted by BDodson5.0
Have a 66 mustang that has a c4 Transmission. Shifter is all types of jacked up as well as the linkage. Looking for some advice for a new shifter itself. I've only been able to find a B&M. Anybody have some suggestions to quality shifters. Would consider one with a boot that goes directly onto the carpet as well since the center console might not go back in.
I'm pretty new to the scene when it comes to automatics and shifters. I have a C4 too, and I think it's configured like a '67. That is, it has 1, 2, and D rather than the Cruise 0 Matic. So is the idea behind what you're looking for so you can upshift without going right past where you want to be?

As for the C4 is it modified?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 PM
BDodson5.0

Originally Posted by Seadog
I'm pretty new to the scene when it comes to automatics and shifters. I have a C4 too, and I think it's configured like a '67. That is, it has 1, 2, and D rather than the Cruise 0 Matic. So is the idea behind what you're looking for so you can upshift without going right past where you want to be?

As for the C4 is it modified?
Actually mine is a cruise o matic. If you could shed some light on the differences that'd be great haha. And my shifter is wrecked, the button is broken, the piece in the console is broken, the linkage is broken. I want something sporty, and I like the look and feel of those apposed to the OEM shifter. Trans is stock for now. When I pull the motor to be fully built, the trans will either get a monster kit installed, or I'll just piece a shift kit and all together and fully rebuild it as well. I'm trying to get the car running and driving in 10 weeks, pretty much 10 weekends because that's the only time I work on it. 20 days for cruise in car show in ocean city md where I live. So I wanna get something in it asap so I can drive the car.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

you could not pay me to run an aftermarket shifter with a lock out lever. i hated every one i drove. hard to get in park.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
BDodson5.0

excuse my ignorance but what is a lock out lever?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
you could not pay me to run an aftermarket shifter with a lock out lever. i hated every one i drove. hard to get in park.
My view is different. I have worked as a Mustang restorer. In that capacity, I have driven many Mustangs with aftermarket shifters. So it is possible to pay me to drive Mustangs with aftermarket shifters.

But that's the only way.

BDodson5.0- Complete reconditioning of the stock shifter is cheap and dead easy. Most can be done for under $10 in parts and a couple hours' work. Then it will work perfectly. Putting in some crap aftermarket shifter will cost hundreds, and take all day. And you'll hate it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

The one item that drives me batty on the 65 66, is having to R-E-A-C-H for the shifter. I now have two C4 shifters, one stock, and one I modified lengthening the arm using a manual 3-spd arm, adding and lowering the swing by aprox 1-2". Just so happens the manual shifter arms are hollow AND the exact same diameter of the auto so you can retain the upper shank for the handle and hardware. The rest of the cabling and lockout stuff is simple hardware. Picked up the extra shifter and bucket for $20 at the swap meet, spent $5 on bushings and put it all together. Cut it, welded it. Very easy. I get the car outa paint in the next couple weeks and let ya know how it turns out.

Last edited by groho; 08-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM
BDodson5.0

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
My view is different. I have worked as a Mustang restorer. In that capacity, I have driven many Mustangs with aftermarket shifters. So it is possible to pay me to drive Mustangs with aftermarket shifters.

But that's the only way.

BDodson5.0- Complete reconditioning of the stock shifter is cheap and dead easy. Most can be done for under $10 in parts and a couple hours' work. Then it will work perfectly. Putting in some crap aftermarket shifter will cost hundreds, and take all day. And you'll hate it.

I've restored 8 64.5-66 mustangs. I've always hated the shifters. $10 to rebuild is true, but that just goes to show how cheap they really are. Just never been a big fan of t-handle shifters. Their not aesthetically pleasing either I might add.

Quick Reply: C4 Shifter options