Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Might Buy a mustang. Need some info

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Ilikeponys

Default Might Buy a mustang. Need some info

Hey, new here. So I might be getting a 65 mustang,its got a 302 at. Im going up today to look at it but it sounds like its in good shape. The problem is it got hit buy a car and the front is damaged. It had a monte carlo bar so it helped save it. It need a new front rh fender, grill, bumper, hood,radiator. He said it ran fine before it was hit. But hes asking anything over $1000. Ill have pictures tonight. Oh and I got a couple questions. Can you run regular unleaded fuel in these engines? Also do you have to get the early model cars smogged?
thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Might Buy a mustang. Need some info

ORIGINAL: Ilikeponys

Hey, new here. So I might be getting a 65 mustang,its got a 302 at. Im going up today to look at it but it sounds like its in good shape. The problem is it got hit buy a car and the front is damaged. It had a monte carlo bar so it helped save it. It need a new front rh fender, grill, bumper, hood,radiator. He said it ran fine before it was hit. But hes asking anything over $1000. Ill have pictures tonight. Oh and I got a couple questions. Can you run regular unleaded fuel in these engines? Also do you have to get the early model cars smogged?
thanks
Welcome to the classic section of the Mf Matt. Understand that the 302 was not the original engine in your 65, so some previous owner replaced the original 289. Yes, you can run regular gas in it. Smogged? As in adding a catalytic converter. Nah. California idiots have some stupid rules, but the rest of the country is sensible with classics. Everyone on here will tell you to check for rust. So, do a thorough rust inspection before you even consider buying it. The damage to the front end can be very expensive to repair, so get an estimate from a quality body repair shop before you take the plunge.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:05 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I would find somebody that knows mustangs to assess the damage. Btw, hrnb stole your avatar.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:11 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a very affordable way to get into a great hobby. $1000 isn't much for a Mustang, even if it does have rust. A lot of mustangs have rust. I know mine has a lot and will be fixed in the future. Once you buy that mustang, It's On Like Donkey Kong. Once you start, you can't stop!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:42 PM
pak133
1st Gear Member

It's On Like Donkey Kong.

That's great!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:04 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

First, welcome! Second, if it was hit, I would definately be weary. Check that the car sits level across the front. See if there's any damage to the frame rail. Rust is also an issue.
It currently has a 302, which is a good engine(although not original). Make sure it has 5 lug wheels and not 4 lug. 4 lug wheels were on 6 cylinder cars, not V-8's. Check the VIN number, the 5th digit should be either an A,C or K(that will also tell you if it was an original V-8 car.
Running regular unleaded fuel will not hurt it at all.
Smog check goes by state, so check with your local motor vehicle department for that.
If it looks decent and runs/drives good, go for it. GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 AM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

Ilikeponies,

Welcome to the most informative Mustang site on the web. Hope your new purchase turns out to be a great buy. If you are not an experienced body man I would get it checked out by a pro.

Good Luck
Gary
Old 10-17-2005, 03:55 AM
Frankus

Smogged? As in adding a catalytic converter. Nah. California idiots have some stupid rules, but the rest of the country is sensible with classics.
CA came to their senses and realised there is no way for an older car to pass smog unmodified. My dad has told me stories of trying to pass his 71 Buick Skylark and trying to pass his 73 Econoline (from where I got my 302).

California IS however having junkyards destroy vechicles that are older than 1985. It is very hard to find a junkyard Mustang here in the Bay Area...[:@]

And when people complain about my car polluting I simply tell them Im going to convert it to burn hydrogen.

Which isn't entirely a lie.

Someday...when im older, wiser, and tired of rising gas prices.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Ilikeponys

Thanks for the info. I went and looked at it yesterday. The damage on it is pretty bad. But the engine did not get pushed back and the frame is straight. It had a 289 in it but he replaced it with a 302 and a transmission. The engine does run but it needs a ratiator and fan. Theres not rust on the car and it was painted like 4 years ago. The interior is in great shape and it has a new headliner. It has disc brakes, new suspension. Floor pans were replaced to. Its in good shape besides the front end. Here are the pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSCF0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSCF0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSCF0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSCF0002.jpg
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

oooo, getting a nice lil coupe. thats cool. that car looks pretty good and like a fun project. We can all explain this very well though: This is a life of project. you will never be done or even feel done. lol, 6 months later my car has turned to a parts car to be put into a Mach 1 body.lol. but that car doesnt look too bad. those are relatively easy to fix parts. Fender, Radiator Support, headlamp bucket, front bumber, and front valance. and like you said, the radiator.

P.S. make sure you know some basic medalwork skills. oh ya, and be careful of cancer of the metal. that stuff is a pain once it pops up.

Quick Reply: Might Buy a mustang. Need some info