Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

To anyone who has every used the Tire and Wheel charts I made/host

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:25 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default To anyone who has every used the Tire and Wheel charts I made/host

Has ANYONE every damaged their car based on the info in the charts and also able to verify that it was the data wrong in the chart.

AKA I have heard of people getting poor fitment but it has always been tracked (as I recall) to issues with the car not being 'stock' and the owner not being aware.

If ANYONE has physically damaged their car I need to know about it and I also need to know which combo is to blame so it can be removed.

http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

Last edited by dodgestang; 09-20-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

A bad alignment shop might cause discrepancies in front end, amongst other things. I didn't use your chart for my wheels nor have I heard bad things about your chart. I thought I remembered someone saying something about your chart costing them money, I'm assuming this is your effort to figure out what's going on.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:07 AM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

I thought I had issues with the chart. Turns out I paid of 4.75" of back spacing, but only received 4.5". Once I got a new set of rims I was in good shape.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:42 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
A bad alignment shop might cause discrepancies in front end, amongst other things.
Absolutely. And this is one piece of data that I with I had more info on in the charts. AKA "what are you alignment specs". When I first developed this little list and talked to hundreds of people to capture what they whey were running I didn't think to include it on the questionnaire.

I thought I remembered someone saying something about your chart costing them money, I'm assuming this is your effort to figure out what's going on.
I take someone stating unequivocally that 'the charts have caused people to damage their cars and/or tires' very seriously and regardless of my personal opinion about the source of that claim it requires me to address it in a very serious matter. Obviously I can't be everywhere and while I have had several people reach out to me over the years with issues they experienced when using the charts to help inform their wheel purchase and each of those so far has turned out to be an issue outside of my control (aka car wasn't stock and owner didn't know it, wheels weren't the right wheels, etc....) the possibility does exist that someone did damage their car. It is also then possible that the information hasn't made it back to me either through the dozen or so discussion forums I participate in, the links to my charts I track through server logs to other discussion forums, and the email feedback venue I have available on my website.

Last edited by dodgestang; 09-21-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:42 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ajzride
I thought I had issues with the chart. Turns out I paid of 4.75" of back spacing, but only received 4.5". Once I got a new set of rims I was in good shape.
I remember that. Glad it worked out long run.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the sticky.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:09 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Thank you all for the help with this. After 7+ plus days of polling multiple discussion forums, visiting every discussion forum I could find in my server logs where a direct link to the chart was made and digging through about 100 pages of google results for a number of search terms I have found.....ZERO.....reports online anywhere detailing any damage based on reading and using the wheel charts.

The only 'interesting' thing I did find (other than many happy posts) was the first ever mention of as issue with the charts in a mustang discussion forum in March of 2014 and to paraphrase that post it read "People who have used this chart have damaged their cars they have told me".

This post was made by a user who was banned from that community and shares the same user id that has been banned from nearly a dozen other discussion forums in the last 2 years. Since there was a direct claim of knowledge I contacted this person who in turn opted to not help so I am left to draw a negative conclusion on 'motivation' from this person.

Thanks for the help everyone I have netted out a couple typos from constructive feedback that I have added to the to do list.

Last edited by dodgestang; 09-30-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Typed the wrong year first time
Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
WestCoastShelby
Banned

I have heard a number of complaints about that chart damaging unrolled and rolled front fenders in my shop.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:01 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestCoastShelby
I have heard a number of complaints about that chart damaging unrolled and rolled front fenders in my shop.
Yup, I too have seen many some of the combos on the chart damage cars and/or tires and it has been suggested to the author of the chart that he simply put an all inclusuve general dsisclaimer in the chart saying something like "Not all the recomendations in this chart have been properly tested to determine if there will be no interference of the tire with the fender under all conditions so please verify this for yourself before driving the car.", but oh no, this would be WAYtoo difficult and he would rather be in blind denial about the FACT that some of these combos have caused damage to some cars and/or tires under some conditions which is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do . . Then on top of his denial, he spews some obviously bogus story saying that there is only one guy in the entire world that has mentioned a problem with some of the suggestions on the chart and that this particular persons factual statements are not factual because this person had beeen banned from 2000 different internet sites is simply laughable and shows just exactly how irresponsible, childish, incompetent and unconcerned the author of this chart really is.

if he actually did take this serioiusly as he laughably claims, he would put a simple disclaimer in there similar to the one i posted which has been suggested several times before . . his continued outright refusal to do so raises some very serious questions, one of them being the possibility of people whose cars and/or tires were damaged using one of the recommendations on the chart, suing him and/or the mustang shops that post this chart on their sites.

Also, if he was genuinely concerned about knowing if someones car was damaged by using omne of the recommebdations in the chart, he would be offeriung to pay for the damage donlt ya think, since its his recommendatioins that caused the damage? . . I'm pretty sure that it will be a very cold day in h_ll before that happens.

Now, what if someones tire got cut from the fender lip causing it to go flat which in turn causes the car to suddenly veer off into oncoming traffic killing evryone involved including a few 8 year old kids . . Is he gonna step up and assume responsibility for that too?

It seems to me by his post that this is simply some childish vendetta to try and make him look good and one person that he seems to have it out for look bad.

. . . . . If you don't want to possibly have your car end up like this...

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . ...or you or possibly your kids etc end up like this...

. . . .

...I simply suggest you PROPERLY check the tire/wheel fitment PRIOR to driving the car . . That doesn't sound like a stupid idea to me.

Last edited by barnett468; 01-19-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:35 PM
WestCoastShelby
Banned

Originally Posted by WestCoastShelby

To followup, not just Fenders we had a guy in the shop whose '67 GT350 inner sidewalls were SLICED to shreds on his upper control arms. Front-end was properly aligned and control arms were FoMoCo originals... LONG STORY SHORT, the owner told him not to follow charts online, guess who's chart (above) he was using? I encourage anyone to use the above charts with caution.

On another note early Mustangs and their suspension was engineered for large sidewalls, not chrome 19" wheels to look cool like your in a rap video.

Quick Reply: To anyone who has every used the Tire and Wheel charts I made/host