Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Getting beat up by air cleaners...help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 AM
Gun Jam

Default Getting beat up by air cleaners...help

I would like to run an oval air cleaner like I am now.

Right now I am running the summit racing oval filter-top (sum-g282)it runs a k&n style filter element

before that I had the oval Holley 12" filter with the paper element and sold lid

The oval Holley filter plugged up quickly and did not have adaquate flow. I could apply WOT and watch the vac hang around 4" Removing the filter resulted in significant HP increase that you could clearly feel.

SO I got the summit filter with the k&n style elements on the lid and around the edge. This filter provides excellent flow and makes no HP difference on or off. It also lets quite a bit of dirt go past it as well. The amount of dirt I see accumulating on the top of the booster, air bleeds and other carb parts is unacceptable.

I have read that k&n style elements do not filter as well as paper this summit brand maybe worse.

What I am looking for is an air filter that is oval and uses a paper element but the common choices are 15" or 21" I am worried the 15" would again provide insufficient air flow but the 21" would interfere with my export brace and maybe a hood support member.

19" would be ideal there is a 19" oval with a paper element but its for dual quads. I am considering buy this and modding it to work with single carb
http://www.hotrodspro.com/19-x-2-ova...r-cleaner.html

Is anyone running a 15" oval setup with a paper element and getting enough air?

Thanks

-Gun

Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Paper filters filter more, by nature of being a restriction. The K&N style filters don't use a restriction to trap dirt, they use oil...the idea is anything passing through the media comes into contact with the oil and sticks to it. You have a free flowing filter that still traps dirt (in theory).

They need to be well oiled to work though, and cleaned regularly.

Was it a generic summit filter? Have you tried cleaning and oiling it, or using an actual K&N?

I've found as long as I clean and oil mine regularly that very little dirt gets through, and I live in an insanely high dirt environment with very fine particles that always gets past any filtration.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

^^^ Yup- K&N filters are made for racers. meaning they should be cleaner/dried/re-oiled often. How often? Mine gets cleaned and re-oiled every week. or about 100 miles. It is labor intensive and again, it's a racecar so it is simply another 5 minutes in the weekly maintenance program. If I'm going to an all day test, then i swap over to a WIX paper element because I don't want to have to change it part way through the day.

I don't run K&N on my street vehicles for these exact reasons. The constant wash/dry/re-oil regimen has to happen way too often. Use a good air filter (I use a WIX) and you shouldn't have an air flow problem. Not sure whose making the element for the summit air cleaner, but I'd change brands for sure.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Gun Jam

is it worth trying to get the 19" oval system with paper element to work or should I go with the 15" ?? what systems use a wix filter...I like their oil filters

Thanks

-Gun
Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Gun Jam

Ill try oiling with some K&n oil and see if that helps reduce the amount of dirt passing through.

When I cleaned it out the side element is nice and the fabric is uniform but the top element the fabric is good near the outside edge but as you move inward it looks like it is deteriorating and the spacing between fibers becomes visibly larger I suspect that is most of the issue.

That filter was kinda expensive too.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Gun Jam

this is what I meant by "generic" summit air cleaner

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g282
Old 09-30-2014, 03:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

WIX probably makes the best standard filters. The top end NAPA filters are made by WIX.

I run K&N on my driver, but the filter tends to get dirty really fast around here. I also run a lot more filtration area than I need to, so it can get dirty and lose some flow and still have enough extra flow. It also makes it a pia to clean, because it traps a **** ton of dirt so it can take several passes to clean it.

The problem with aftermarket air cleaner assemblies is they're designed to work with matching filters, so it can be really hard to find parts store replacements that fit them.

You could also try adding extra oil to the filter. It's really only a problem if it's crazy over oiled, or on MAF equipped EFI cars, since the oil will contaminate the MAF and cause tuning issues. I over oil mine a bit and after it's first put on it tends to pull a little loose oil through, but traps dirt pretty well. Some always gets past, mainly because there's a TON of super fine dirt around here (literally you can dust the sofa table and write in it 10min later, it's ****ing terrible).
Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Gun Jam

sounds like central ca or bako.

What size filter are you running?

What size air filter do I need anyhow?

I found this: http://www.can-of-whoopass.com/index.php?

and it says about 17" dia for 302, 7000 rpm, 2" filter height with K&N filter.

so circumference of 17" is 53"......or 106 sq inches.

If I draw an oval air cleaner in autocad that fits in a 14.5 x 8.5 box the distance around it is about 41 so for a 2" high element thats 81 sq inches

Thanks

-Gun
Old 09-30-2014, 11:41 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello gun jam;

as you know, the paper filter got dirty quickly because it was filtering most the dirt so there is no way around that on any filter so i'm not sure what you are looking for and doubt that i have a miracle answer. if you wrap your paper filter with an oiled foam strip, the foam will just get dirty.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Gun Jam

I guess what Im looking for is the appropriate size filter...maybe not necessarily the largest that will fit but one that provides adequate flow and has enough capacity to run a few months between changes.
I am also still caught in the paper vs oil filter issue. Yes paper filters better but if I had been using a K&n oil style filter that didn't have a deteriorated element perhaps it would have provided suitable filtering and perhaps its not fair to judge all oil type filters based on the results I see.

Quick Reply: Getting beat up by air cleaners...help