Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Getting beat up by air cleaners...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:44 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'm about 50mi outside of bako in the mountains. Technically high desert, really dry lately with the drought, most of the neighbors have horses that pound the dirt into talc. Then the wind. It's terrible. Makes it a real pia to try and do engine or transmission work, keeping anything clean around here is a joke.

I think my filter is a 13"x1.5" with the filter top. K&N has a calculator on their site (or they used to). You can figure what you need from that, then get something with even more area that fits well. I think mine is something like 50-70% oversize filter area. The filter top actually adds a lot of filtration area, and you can get away with a seemingly smaller filter setup when using one.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:12 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I think they make prefilters that wrap around the cotton style for this reason...
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
I guess what Im looking for is the appropriate size filter...maybe not necessarily the largest that will fit but one that provides adequate flow and has enough capacity to run a few months between changes.
I am also still caught in the paper vs oil filter issue. Yes paper filters better but if I had been using a K&n oil style filter that didn't have a deteriorated element perhaps it would have provided suitable filtering and perhaps its not fair to judge all oil type filters based on the results I see.
what don't you .like about the original shelby oval filters?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING-COBRA-OVAL-AIR-CLEANER-ASSEMBLY-M-9600-C302-/171297294169?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e21d4759&vxp=mtr#ht_226wt_884
a big filter will actually get dirty just about as fast as a small one.

the paper ones can be blown out by air and the oil ones can be cleaned as you know so i don't what else there is.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I am also still caught in the paper vs oil filter issue. Yes paper filters better but if I had been using a K&n oil style filter that didn't have a deteriorated element perhaps it would have provided suitable filtering and perhaps its not fair to judge all oil type filters based on the results I see.
I love my K&N for the race cars and quarter midgets, but they don't belong on street cars (Sorry K&N). Yes they are better if properly maintained, but that's the hitch. They need to be oiled frequently and washed almost as often. After reading your post about the dust in the area I don't think I'd try it any longer. If you can find an Outerwear that fits then that would help your K&N last longer if you want to keep using it. The Outerwear is, for all intents, a nylon bag that goes over the air cleaner/filter assembly. We use them on dirt tracks to keep particulates out of the oiled air filter element.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/

Maybe they have one that fits.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:35 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

^ that is what I was thinking about.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I guess what Im looking for is the appropriate size filter...maybe not necessarily the largest that will fit but one that provides adequate flow and has enough capacity to run a few months between changes.
Digging a little with google some time ago when figuring out what I could live with to run my 410c in my 65 with very little room for filters I stumbled on this 'formula' to calculate filter requirements

A = (C.I.D. x RPM) / 25,500

Basically it spits out the surface area needed. I am sure it is a bit of a rule of thumb type of thing but using your figures of 302 and 7000 RPM I get 82.9......the smaller oval setup with the 2 inch element you figured out to be 81.....since you aren't routinely running it at WOT it should be more than sufficient. For example 302 cubic inches running at 4k RPM needs roughly 48 of surface area. Then you just need to make a choice of type....oil or paper....to me since there is such a 'competitive' market in filtering there is a lot of 'voodoo' to sort though but given IMO at the size you have mentioned you flow more than enough....I think it is less a question of if paper or oil flows more air and more preference around remove and throw away versus removed, clean, oil, and reinstall.

Anecdotally I run a K&N 14 inch circle at 2.5 inch high with the flow through lid on my 65 with the 410c. Been on there a decade....taken it off twice and hosed it down with a garden hose.....so I don't take the best care of it. Still runs 11.2 and does on average 2-3k a year in street driving with an open air scoop....but it doesn't see a lot of dust.

Last edited by dodgestang; 10-02-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by barnett468
what don't you .like about the original shelby oval filters?
I was super excited about these but I dont think it will fit. Its going to run into my export brace.

Also thanks for the additional input... all

-Dave do you think I would get similar dirt deposits in my carb using a K&n filter compaired to the summit k&n "type" filter I have on there now?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gun Jam; 10-02-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:12 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

I was super excited about these but I dont think it will fit. Its going to run into my export brace.

Also thanks for the additional input... all

-Dave do you think I would get similar dirt deposits in my carb using a K&n filter compaired to the summit k&n "type" filter I have on there now?

Thanks!
Ok Gun, if you have a stock style brace the filter should not hit it. it may hit a couple of the different repos. These air cleaners fit the Shelbys with the brace. If your carb is elevated it might just barely touch.

At the worst case, if it does hit, you can relocate the hole to the rear a little. If you need to do this and do not have a welder or welder friend, take it to the local high school auto shop and tell the teacher what you want and that you are happy to donate to the class project fund. You will probably get it done for $20.00, lol.

Tell them they can just cut a square around it with an open ended hack saw then cut around a 1/2 inch strip or whatever is needed out of the rear of that new square hole in the air cleaner . Move the square section with the hole rearward, put the 1/2” strip in front of the hole and weld it up. How bout that!

If it is too low and hits your dist you can buy a 5.00 spacer.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-03-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

- - I honestly don't know since I've never used a 'K&N Type'. I used K&N or dry paper.

If you're getting as much dust as you say then I'd try outerwear and dry paper filter. I equate it to running a dry dirt track and I'd clean/oil the filter after that nights racing. That's where you save the $$ in the long run with the K&N for racing. But again, cleaning after 100 miles sucks for a street car.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Gun Jam

they are really only good for a 100 miles between cleaning?

Quick Reply: Getting beat up by air cleaners...help