Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Getting beat up by air cleaners...help

Old 10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
they are really only good for a 100 miles between cleaning?
hi gun . not meaningto answer for racer dave but heres a quick annswer so you have sone info now . you can run an oil bath k and n fiter on a car that is driven daily in oc or la city for example for a month before it needs cleaning . you can run it for a few hours if you are behind another car on a dusty road . not knowing your exact circumstances we cant reallly give you a good estimate . as i mentioned a paper filter will get dirty around as fast .
Old 10-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Gun Jam

I thought perhaps this 100 mile estimate had more to do with the oil being displaced by the airflow (migrating away from the filter) and then allowing particulate matter to get past then it did with actually becoming restricted due to accumulation of particulate matter...

-Gun
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It'll depend on how much filter area you have, how easily the dirt has access tot he filter, and driving conditions. The more oversized the filter is, the less restriction...so it will take a bit longer as it gets dirty before it becomes a restriction. It still gets dirty just as fast as a smaller filter, but it just doesn't matter quite as much in terms of restriction (though it is more filter to clean).

The easier access dirt has to it, the faster it gets dirty. If you have an open scoop at the front like I do, the top filter gets dirty faster than the standard filter element portion does (it also gets dirty just sitting there as dust in the air settles on it).

I've found that I can only get about 2 oil changes on the engine before the air filter becomes pretty filthy. I also only get about 2 cleanings out of a filter recharge kit. The oil lasts a lot longer than the cleaner does, because I usually have to make 2-3 passes with the cleaner (which I'm certain is made using fish oil products, because it smells like dead fish).
Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

On my pavement car I can go 2 weeks on it without seeing dirt buildup on the carb (unless they lay down a bunch of speedy-dri for some reason). On a dirt car it gets done every week and I keep a spare in the trailer cleaned, oiled and ready to go if it gets too dusty before the feature. But I'm running a bunch of RPM too, a lot more than a street car ever sees. Hell my racecar idles at 1800 and during a race it's between 4000 and 8000 so its moving a lot of air.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Gun Jam

-67mustang

when you go to clean the filter and look down the primary ventures do you see accumulation of silty dust on the choke plate, the tops of the boosters and their legs, the top of the air bleeds, and inside the Philips screw that holds the accel pump nozzle down? I saw significant dirt build up in these areas...I should have taken pictures.

-Gun
Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I have EFI now, but I do see a little bit of accumulation on the top of the TB, and the top of the butterflies if I don't clean it, and drive it when it's dirty.

The one nice thing at least about the oiled filters, is if you do pull dirt through, it's usually with some oil; so most of the dirt clings to stuff before it gets into the engine. The plenum in the intake has always been squeaky clean, so whatever it pulls into the engine is pretty miniscule.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:58 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

I thought perhaps this 100 mile estimate had more to do with the oil being displaced by the airflow (migrating away from the filter) and then allowing particulate matter to get past then it did with actually becoming restricted due to accumulation of particulate matter...

-Gun
gun, sucking enough oil out of the filter that it will suddenly start allowing more dirt in is not really a concern. it's a very good question and concern but it doesn't really work that way providing you're not using it daily for 6 months before cleaning it.

you do nee to be sure that it is perfectly sealed where it meets the carb though.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:46 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

im running my export brace with the cobra style air cleaner..i have a curved monte carlo bar though
Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I am a fan of Wix and Purolator air filters. I will not use KN.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I was super excited about these but I dont think it will fit. Its going to run into my export brace.

Also thanks for the additional input... all

-Dave do you think I would get similar dirt deposits in my carb using a K&n filter compaired to the summit k&n "type" filter I have on there now?

Thanks!
Hey Gun :-)
I run exactly that filter on mine with export brace, the 'not-straight' type. fits pretty well. let me find a picture

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting beat up by air cleaners...help