Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Found Ice on the Mustang this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:35 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Found Ice on the Mustang this morning!

It was 47 degrees down here in Coweta county. Pak you live in Georgia too?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:39 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

He lives in dacula. We had a Pm conversation. We will all meet up some day. I am 20 min away from dacula.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

yeah, we need too. I dont know where the heck that is, but We all live in a 50 mile radius from each other i think, or about that anyways.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:30 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

He is by the mall of Ga.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Clutch, I'm guessing putting the 68 "on blocks" is figurative speech, given your insulated, humidity-controlled garage. Seriously, car gurus up here (Minn) say the best storage option is one where you can start the car monthly, reposition the tires to avoid flat spots, and thus skip dumping oil in the cylinders, fogging the carb, and all those messy chores I wanted to get rid of when I traded my boat for a mustang. Maybe a winterizing-the-stang string would be a good topic. BTW, drove my mustang for early-morning coffee last weekend in 40-degree weather, top down as always (heater on...next year I'll pull the door panels and get the windows going up and down easily and maybe the wife would be willing to go, too).
Old 10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The reason for putting it on blocks is to relax the springs so they don't go flat and lose their tension , and to not allow the tires to create a flat spot. That old theory has been around for awhile. Whenever I store old yeller for months on end, I just put a wood board under each tire, and put the cover on with a very small trickle charger to the battery. (that sucker cost me 80 bux) That method has worked for me for almost 12 years now, and every time I take it out of storage it starts and runs just fine, and it only takes a few miles to get the tires heated up to get out any flat spots. Modern radial tires don't get flat spots from sitting too long. Cold air won't hurt anything while it is in storage. The biggest problem with storing it is birds crapping on it, and mice eating the rubber in the engine. So, keep it covered with a good breathable cover, and put out mice traps and nice poisonous goodies for them to eat. If you don't have pets that can access the storage area, then put out a few bowls of anti-freeze for them to suck on. The sweet smell and taste of the anit-freeze will attract them to drink it, and then they will immediately go to pest heaven.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:13 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

No, it'll actually be on stands. I'm doing some upgrades and underbody detailing this winter which will require it to be off the ground.

But normally I have it on the ground with the tires on in case of fire. Standing rule - Let the house burn, get the car out! (Jackstands slow down the response time)
Old 10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I would have to put my car in neutral while my dad pushes.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Soaring, thanks for the mouse advice...that was one of my storage concerns. Also, IClutchI, I maybe did sound too much like concours guy in my post on "what a shame," ripping that car, so I've got a post there...what mod's pass the sniff test.