Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

put the car on dyne today

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:02 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default put the car on dyne today

finally there's someone with a Dyno in Cork, Ireland.
they had a shootout event and I even won it. 242BHP at wheels :-)
carburetor was untuned. pig rich, i'll probably squeeze another 40 out of it or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6kro...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Only bought a holley 650DP for her and slapped it on the night before . Adjusted float level only.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Carbs and dynos can be a bit tricky, dynos don't always load the engine the same way it's loaded in road operation, so they can sometimes deliver incorrect AFR's on a dyno; or if you tune it on some dynos it may not run right on the road etc.

What was the AFR and timing?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:38 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Hey Kali, I haven't been on this forum much in a while. That's cool you got to put your car on a dyno. I would think your car would make at least 300hp to the wheels. What made you decide to go with a Holly carb?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Hey Kali, I haven't been on this forum much in a while. That's cool you got to put your car on a dyno. I would think your car would make at least 300hp to the wheels. What made you decide to go with a Holly carb?
Hey man :-) ya you're absolutely right, it should make more. And it will when I have the carb adjusted. I was just happy nothing broke and had good numbers to start with.
Like I said the holley was just slapped on. We didn't measure timing or AFR. I set timing to 32 all in before I went there. But the carb was hopelessly rich and I had to time to fix this before I went there. I'm sure if I go 3 jets down front and back it'll be a lot happier. my spark plugs are telling the same story

i really liked the Demon carburetor, but essentially the non-existence of a choke drove me mad. wherever i went, if it was cold I was sitting for 5 minutes nursing a cold lean engine instead of just driving off. Its ok for summer/fun car. but I want my car to drive whenever I want it to

The Demon double pumpers have auto choke if you want it, but it's missing a critical functionality (for me). The vacuum pulloff. It causes that the choke butterfly opens a bit when you press the pedal. If it's missing and cold you can't rev the engine anymore (and i mean 2000rpm max as otherwise the butterfly choked everything). I did what everyone else did with those carbs, drill additional holes in choke butterflies. that helped greatly. On top of that the front squirters spray right againt open choke plate. so this is when I realized why the other half of demon owners removes that plate. In short, great carb if you don't want a choke.

Typically the holley double pumpers don't have a pull off either, but the new ultra series (aluminium) have them. I got one cheap second hand from someone who had it for 300miles and then went EFI (eBay). So now during the next two weeks I'll adjust it. Next time I go there I plan to see 280+ *g*

Kalli
Old 05-03-2015, 05:51 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

just to update. i had another look at the carb (running hopelessly rich).
the fuel levels were too high from stuck floats. planted the carb on car more or less same day as dyno, was a used aluminium 650 holley DP from ebay. but the original owner must have set the floats pretty often as well since the bowl and needle was full of paper gasket.
I went to a gasket maker here in cork to make me 50 of those ring gaskets, which is a superior material (they won't chew).

have timing at 33 deg now (all in at around 3000). fuel levels set, changed the accel pump cams (original had pink #1 mount hole in both) to a green at #2 on primary and pink #3 at secondary (for the lack of another green). bog on accelleration is gone and runs way better now.

I'll do a couple of runs with AFR gauge, then go back top dyno with AFR gauge and see what it does
Convinced it can pull 300RWHP then