Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Mustang with Long Shaft Manual Box??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:47 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

OK, I finally upgraded my box. I went with a Borgenson close ratio 14:1 power steering kit. It was pretty easy to install as I traded a friend an old welder for him to install it. Normally I would have done it myself, but I have been traveling a lot for work and really didnt have the time. I bought the kit from Amazon of all places.

Reviews: wow huge difference. Steers like a new car as I already upgraded the rest of the steering with poly bushings, beefed up swaybar in front, swaybar in rear and lowered the control arms like with Shelby's. I really like the way it drives now.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 AM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

Glad you like it Mtn. I am also in Colorado and I am wondering where you bought your PS kit. I just took the old box out yesterday and one of my concerns is getting a new long shaft box back in the car. I disassembled the box in the car just so I could get it past the motor and suspension. I don't see how it would be physically possible to get a new unit in with my setup.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by colostang
Glad you like it Mtn. I am also in Colorado and I am wondering where you bought your PS kit. I just took the old box out yesterday and one of my concerns is getting a new long shaft box back in the car. I disassembled the box in the car just so I could get it past the motor and suspension. I don't see how it would be physically possible to get a new unit in with my setup.
The Borgenson kit is a two piece shaft and uses a rag joint. So much easier to install it. You do have to shorten the factory steering column. This is all fairly well documented in the instructions. In my case I cut the old shaft to get the box out. I actually bought the kit off of Amazon. It arrived In a couple days. You can get it from Colorado Mustang off of Peiria and I70 for 100 or so more. I was traveling as usual so I just ordered it.

What part of CO are you in? I live in Highlands Ranch.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:33 PM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

I am in Glenwood Springs. I talked to Colorado Mustang this morning and the only option they have is the power steering conversion for $1089. I can get a reman box from Rock Auto for $160 + core return or go with the same setup you went with from amazon for $956. I have always wanted PS but I also like to save money and have the car stay original. Tough decision.