Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Mustang with Long Shaft Manual Box??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 PM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

Default 1965 Mustang with Long Shaft Manual Box??

I apologize if this is a frequent question. I have the long shaft style box in my 65 Mustang V8 Auto coupe.

While I can tolerate it for now, I would like to get rid of the minor play I have in the box. All other steering parts and suspension parts are new.

I am considering getting the box rebuilt but maybe I want to go with something like the Flaming River manual box. I am not sure the Flaming River box comes in a long shaft version.

Thoughts on going with a short shaft box and cutting down the column and shaft like you do with the Borgenson power steering kits?

What are my options here? I am not sure I want to go to power steering or rack and pinion, but I am not ruling those out either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

try these guys. . . .http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincat...ameset010.html , page 83 of the catalog. They came recommended from Maier Racing, though he uses a high end pump. I bought a 13:1 quick ratio power steering unit and low vol pump, all hardware and hoses, for around $900. I see they also have replacement, rebuilt long shaft steering boxes. You might even be able to get a better ratio than that 100:1 that's currently in your ride.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

You might want to think about changing to a short shaft for one important reason. The steering is collapsible in a crash. The shorts came in late model '67 and beyond, early 67's had the solid shaft. This is a big safety feature! Unless you are going for a numbers matching car, and you are replacing the box anyway, you should bite the bullet and put in the rag joint, a later column and components. Pictures of people being impaled on the steering shaft of pre 67 cars are not pretty.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:19 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

Looks like Flaming River has the right collapsible column for the 65s too. Good advice. I was hoping to save costs and not do the column too, but 400 now will save in the long run.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Also look at Ididit columns. The total cost for a tilt column, shaft and u-joint and vibration damper is around $800. Key note, there are two lengths in columns, a short column for rack and pinion setups, and a replacement column for traditional steering boxes that's an inch or two longer. Second, I believe Ididit has a ford wiring column, and others use a GM wiring column that you have to adapt.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Two thoughts, based upon prior experience:
1. Flaming River is largely a waste of money on these vintage Mustangs because, they are (a) too expensive; (b) use components non necessary in the steering gear box area, and (c) these cars are not driven enough to warrant such over-the-top expenditures. Your gearbox can be reliably rebuilt probably locally if you spend the time to investigate at less than $150.00.
2. Short shaft gear boxes with a rag joint are no more safe than the long shaft setups. How are they supposed to "collapse"? Where are they going to collapse to in the gear box area? Sounds like another load of fodder all to frequently found in the vintage car hobby. Be careful and use your hed.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:14 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

collapsible column from 68
Note corrugations on bottom of column. The shaft also has a collapse zone.
see also
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...eering-column/
Old 11-25-2014, 11:34 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

I hear you on the amount of driving thing, but I drive my 65 several times a week.

Basically the reason I started this thread is to evaluate the options based on my circumstances.

I am still considering the long shaft box from Flaming river because I can get them just over 500 vs the 275 to have my old box rebuilt. I have rebuilt them in the past but never really satisfied with the results.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Have your box rebuilt or exchange it for a rebuilt box rather than doing it yourself. I was never able to find the necessary components to rebuild boxes myself. The ball bearings in the unit need replacing to be effective and I could not buy the bearings in small numbers necessary to do the project correctly. The unit needs something like 30 bearings and the smallest quantity I could find was something like 5,000. Just sayin'
Old 05-16-2015, 08:47 PM
guidos65fastback

Mtn. I have a brand new flaming river quick ratio manual box. still in box. I decided to go with a power steering set up. what did you end up doing. just curious

Quick Reply: 1965 Mustang with Long Shaft Manual Box??