Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 Mustang crash... Fixable?

Old 12-14-2014, 11:13 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matthewap44
Is there a clutch pedal return spring?
there were 2 originally who knows if they have been removed . . one is under the dash.

your engine might have been rammed back breaking something.

if your cowl is bent they will have to pull it with a clamp if its minor.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

It should be fixable. Do NOT let the insurance company specify the repair place. They will try. Get your repair estimates from a restorer or a body shop used to dealing with older cars. Luckily, all the parts should be available for you. And I agree with Barnett468, find some original fenders. Even if they need work they are loads better than the repops. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Matthewap44

Originally Posted by racer_dave
It should be fixable. Do NOT let the insurance company specify the repair place. They will try. Get your repair estimates from a restorer or a body shop used to dealing with older cars. Luckily, all the parts should be available for you. And I agree with Barnett468, find some original fenders. Even if they need work they are loads better than the repops. Good luck.
Mustang Medic from California said they would fix it all for $9k
Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Matthewap44

Do I get to pick the repair place? No matter what?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:43 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

You should, but the insurance companies will push for cheaper shops. They may also try to base the repair amounts on lower quality parts. Just be very careful. A lot will depend on the relationship you have with your agent. I had one who lowballed everything when I had a claim. He didn't last. As soon as the claim settled I ditched him. New agent is much better.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

"This is not making me whole."

"I don't believe you are acting in good faith"

"Now I don't have all original sheet metal so I want to file a diminution of value claim as well"

Those are useful phrases when dealing with an insurance company that may be trying to dick you.

Whether or not I'd get it repaired depends on what kind of insurance you have and how much they're willing to pay to total it out. That got racked up pretty good and I'll bet once it's pulled apart you're going to find more wrong than what you think.

It is (was) a nice looking car but I think I'd take the money, and run.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Whether or not I'd get it repaired depends on what kind of insurance you have and how much they're willing to pay to total it out.
Yeah, be careful there too. With the big companies they go by book value unless you have something to override it. In my case, according to their 'book' my daily driver 67 fastback 4sp is worth 2900. We all know that's a joke. I placed an agreed upon value policy on it, so if it is in a wreck and they want to total it out they write the big check, not the $2900.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Yep. I did the same thing with mine.

Agreed upon value is paramount when insuring a nice older car.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Matthewap44

Well I took the fenders off today and it. Doesn't look that bad. I'm having a guy come look at it today and he said it would be an easy fix if I did it myself. There's a total of 3500 in parts if I do it myself. It just needs two new front fender aprons and a radiator support. And of course all the parts that were damaged. But the frame held up surprisingly well
Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Matthewap44

Originally Posted by racer_dave
do you think it could be fixed? it doesnt look to bad to me
Attached Thumbnails 68 Mustang crash... Fixable?-resizedimage_1418842439108.jpg   68 Mustang crash... Fixable?-resizedimage_1418842463776.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 Mustang crash... Fixable?