Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 sluggishness

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:17 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

look at the color of the gas, if it is yellow boil or replace the tank . . if you added new gas to the old tank there might have been jurrassic goo left over . . this can blow your engine up when it liquefies and mixes with the gas.

make sure the points are good and that they are set from .016" to .018"

plug the vacuum line to the distributor vacuum when you check the timing . . to chec the total timing rev the engine to almost 1/2 throttle.

If your idle timing is less than 6 or more than 12 it is a problem, set it to around 10.

if your total timing is less than around 26 it is too low . . we can tell you how to fix this.

Look at your main jet size when you rebuild the carb . . if it is 49 or smaller install 51 jets from mikes carbs or remove them and drill them out with a 1.3 mm or a 55 number drill.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

It has been a while since I messed with a 65 so I might be off base here but I believe there is a little 4"-5" section of rubber hose between the hard line and the fuel tank itself.

I had a 64 Fairlane that was exhibiting the symptoms you are talking about and it turned out that that little section of hose has crystalized from the inside and was slowing the fuel delivery down to a drip.

Just something else to throw into the hopper and check out.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

I ran back to the parts store this morning and returned one of the wires (distributor to alternator) because it was too short. He had to give me the wire from the v6 kit instead (doesn't have the 90 degree boot but it works). I grabbed a compression gauge while I was there but of course the end is too small so I can't do the test... back to the store...

Here is a fun picture of the brand new plugs I installed 3 days ago. These plugs have about 10 miles on them but 4 are already browning. Something is seriously wrong :-( Also, one of the wires broke when I tried to remove it YAY! (faulty crimp).

Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

nothing is seriously wrong, they are supposed to look like that . . perhaps they should have many more miles on them before they get that color but at the worst it means your jets in the side with the dark plugs might be slightly rich and/or, you do nloyt have enough total ignition timing.

if the plug on the far right is black and oily, then you do have a problem which might be bad rings and/or valve guide.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

The plug on the far right isn't oily, just brownish (sorry, bad pic). The second from the left was the worst one. They are in order (left to right) of how I removed them (back to front, left side then right side). I was just shocked that they were browned after less than 10 miles.

I'm pretty sure it's just carbon deposits due to a combination of running rich and needing some timing work. I'll buy a new air filter and either rebuild the carb or buy a refurb one (considering upgrading to the Autolite 4100 but haven't explained that to the wife yet...).

The gaskets and hoses are pretty old so I'll probably have to take it in for some work. I think the head gasket and the oil pan gasket leak. Not a lot but some. The oil pan gasket doesn't even fit properly. The corner of it sticks out about an inch and rests against the fuel pump. When I reattached the canister for the fuel pump (after replacing the filter) I had to hold the lip of the gasket back in order to put the canister back in place. In doing so the gasket felt as though it was cracking a little along the fold.

When my parents gave me the car last year they gave me a list from a mechanic took a very close look at it. He gave them a 2 paged list of everything that needed to be done on the car. That was back in 2010 and almost nothing on the list was crossed off. For the last 20 years the car has basically sat in a garage with only a monthly start up to keep the battery charged. Honestly, the car hasn't been consistently driven since the 70s.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

rebuild the orig 2 barrel . . it won't go much faster with a 4v.

the pan gasket is designed that way, it is fine.

your head gasket does not have an external leak . . oil comes down from the valve covers and the 4 corners where the intake meets the heads and block at the same time.

you better look at you gas color like i mentioned.

one side of your carb is lean . . typical design prob with the intake.

Last edited by barnett468; 01-18-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

That's great info, thanks barnette. Yes, the gas does look pretty yellow.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nurdyguy
That's great info, thanks barnette. Yes, the gas does look pretty yellow.
ok, if it is from left over dried up gas that liquified when you put in new gas, your engine will be down on hp and if can n;literally blow your engine up in less than 30 minutes it it has enough goo . . rust will also make it look yellow but usually not quite as much.

if it is definitely obviously yellow on not just really lite pale yellow, stop driving the car right now and fix it . . if the tank is really rusty buy a new one . . if it just has dried goo in it, get it boiled out.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Gun Jam

Your spark plugs should ideally be the color of chocolate milk a dark brown. They should also be clean no oil or bits of carbon accumulating on them..

it sounds like a fuel issue to me as well. The carb is dirty and plugged, the fuel is bad, the fuel pump is weak, a fuel restriction....any of the above.

-Gun
Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

spark plugs, tune up might help

Quick Reply: '65 sluggishness