Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Intake valve gunk removal help

Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Yeah PCV makes sense it oil could be coming from there

Fuel is mid grade chevron

seafoam or the like hasnt been known to cause any issues (aside from hydro lock) and they are safe to use as far as I can tell BUT do I run a risk of them damaging my wideband 02 sensor by using them?. Ill give these suggestions a try and will observe results with my fancy new borescope. Im pretty curious how well the seafoam actually works.

Thanks guys!

-Gun
i would not do that.

why do you not want to use that instead of a product from a multi billion dollar a year oil company that has some of the best scientists on the planet.

also, the foam i posted will help considerably to remove or soften it so the stuff you put in the tank has an easier job.

imo, the sea foam is kinda like hunting an elephant with a bb gun, but who knows, it may work.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I found this too...bathroom and engine cleaner...it has "scrubbing bubbles."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by barnett468; 01-21-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Seafoam does work pretty well, Barnett. It's pretty slick stuff. It's similar to Marvel Mystery Oil, in that you can put it in pretty much anything oil-based as a cleaner. Unlike some harsher (but possibly more effective @ degunking) cleaners like Techron, it's entirely petroleum-based and won't eat up hoses, o-rings, etc with prolonged concentrated use. I've used it for years with good luck, especially on older carbureted vehicles

Not to say any of the other stuff doesn't work (I personally like Techron as an in-tank additive), but each has it's use. I like to use Seafoam for intake/valve deposits (especially in carbureted vehicles), Techron for an in-tank additive, and Marvel or Power Service products for diesels.

I'd be interested in how the Mopar aerosol works. It's worth a shot. Anything you can do to get the cleaner to stick to the gunk.

Also, I wouldn't worry about anything messing with your wideband sensor, Gun Jam. Pretty much anything designed to clean your engine innards will be designed not to mess up O2 sensors.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Gun Jam

says its 02 safe....Ill post results some time soon

-Gun
Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hi starfurry;

if you are talking about pouring it in the intake as the engine is running, the chrysler foam is best partially because it stays on the parts and soaks them . . both the gm top end engine cleaner and the brinewater . . ok, ok, sea foam, just go right thru so they have little chance to clean off the valves and both do more to clean off the cylinder head and piston instead . . also, the gm top end engine cleaner is different than techron.

now, you can also literally steam clean the stuff off the tops of the pistons by running some water in there similar to a water/meth injector etc, but again, because the valves are outside the combustion chamber, the valves get little benefit from it.

also, even though a cleaning product is made out of petrolem, it does not mean it will not damage an engine as in causing premature ring wear etc . . it is still designed to clean, which means it tries to clean all the oil off the cylinder walls while it is running also unless it has a "lubricating" additive . . this is why i recommended he also add some engine oil to the gas tank . . some types of 2 stroke oil would also work.

i still like the goo gone or scrubbing bubbles the best though.

Seafoam

Pale Oil
Naphtha
IPA = isopropyl alcohol

Mopar CCC

Xylene
Ethyl Benzene
Mineral Spirits
Naphtha
IPA = isopropyl alcohol

Last edited by barnett468; 01-22-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Fuel is mid grade chevron
ok, it is not from the gas, it has techron in it.

This issue occurred directly after switching to aluminum heads. I have been running these heads for about two years. My iron heads did not seem to have this issue.

Upon switching to the AL heads after about 2000 miles or less I had a lifter collapse and that required removal of the head. Upon inspection of the head I noticed gunk built up on the back side of the intake valves.
Yeah PCV makes sense it oil could be coming from there

based on your info, it is the valve guides as i mentioned, not the pcv.

Last edited by barnett468; 01-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, xylene and benzene - fantastic cleaners, just don't stand near the tailpipe or sniff the contents of the can, heh. Your kids might end up with two heads...

I do recommend against dumping an entire can of Seafoam in a small gas tank, specifically because it can wash down cylinder walls if concentrated too much. This is also why I don't recommend it in diesels which need lubricity for the injector pump. But a half can down the intake shouldn't hurt.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 AM
Gun Jam

well then if the valve guides are going to leak then let em leak. Hopefully once clean the valves can be kept clean by periodic use of seafoam or an alternative.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Pretty much, although I'd still check the seals like barnett mentioned. It's pretty easy to tell the difference when you yank the valve cover.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Curious, do your valve covers have a baffle? That's the plate the sits under the PCV valve to keep oil from being sucked into the PCV and into the carb/intake. No baffle means you're sucking oil from the top of the rockers. My two cents. . .

BTW, water works to clean cylinders, its like steam cleaning the inside of your engine. Use a spray bottle and spray a couple shots of water down the carb with the motor running. It'll stumble a little like using carb cleaner but should be hot enough to clean up the inside of the cylinders. And its FREE!

Last edited by groho; 01-23-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake valve gunk removal help