Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New member, very little knowledge, 2 mustangs

Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Default New member, very little knowledge, 2 mustangs

Hello from NC,

Just wanted to introduce myself and tell my story. I'm 29 and have always been obsessed with classic mustangs. I bought a 66 coupe project in August, had intentions of 5 speed conversion, EFI, and a lot more. I had a budget of about 10k.

Well last week a 68 fastback pulled into Walmart behind me and my conversation starter was "You don't want to sell it do ya?".* Now I have a 68 fastback, a 66 coupe. And no $.

First I'll tell yall about the 66. It was originally a 6 cylinder automatic, 5 lug conversion, granada disk brakes on the front, not sure what rear axle, floor pans replaced, new carpet and seat covers. I traded the C4 transmission for a T5. I don't have a clutch pedal or T5 crossmember. Came with a rebuilt 302, but not running* (no radiator, battery, headers, etc).*

Onto the 68. It's a J code, originally a GT (allegedly). 351w, automatic (but came with a rebuilt 4spd and still has a clutch pedal in the car), has Shelby hood and headlight buckets and came with the rest (grill, trunk lid, tail light panel, tail lights, window scoops, side scoops,* emblems, air cleaner cover, valve cover ALL SHELBY). It has some rust through spots on the quarter panels and one rocker panel, but underneath is really clean. 73 mustang front end, same size tires on the front and back, front fenders cut to accommodate. Factory AC, power steering, but no power brakes.

I'll post pictures of both when I can. Just wanted to introducemyself and get some ideas on what to do with these cars. What would yall do with the 66? What about the 68? GT or Shelby?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Ok there's plenty of pictures of the 66 coupe. I'm trying to figure out what I've got, what I need, and whether or not to bail. I've done NONE of the work on this car. Not sure what rear axle it has, and not sure what else I'd need to be able to drive the car. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Welcome sir, you got some fun stuff there. If it were me, being on the non existent budget you have, build that 351. put the 4 speed back in, sell the auto trans it has unless its an AOD. that fastback probably has a limited slip diff and 9in rear. that 66 is a money pit right now, even if you do 100% of the work at home it needs alot. park the 66 for a while and focus on the fastback, besides a 68 FB looks way meaner than a 66 coupe (in my opinion). plus you cant go wrong with a 351 and a 4 speed, gear that **** and youll be melting street tires like nobodies business.

*edit: i just realized you said factory ac and mustang II IFS in it with rack and pinion steering. sell that 66 and put everything into the 68. even if you decide to sell down the line that fastback will always bring way more money

Last edited by Mustangdemon67; 01-30-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangdemon67
Welcome sir, you got some fun stuff there. If it were me, being on the non existent budget you have, build that 351. put the 4 speed back in, sell the auto trans it has unless its an AOD. that fastback probably has a limited slip diff and 9in rear. that 66 is a money pit right now, even if you do 100% of the work at home it needs alot. park the 66 for a while and focus on the fastback, besides a 68 FB looks way meaner than a 66 coupe (in my opinion). plus you cant go wrong with a 351 and a 4 speed, gear that **** and youll be melting street tires like nobodies business.

*edit: i just realized you said factory ac and mustang II IFS in it with rack and pinion steering. sell that 66 and put everything into the 68. even if you decide to sell down the line that fastback will always bring way more money
Hey, I resemble that remark about 66 coupes... two great cars, no budget, sounds like most of this forum. Throw us some pics of the F/B and let us be the judge
Old 01-30-2015, 11:53 AM
HAVEaSigAR

Pics of the 68. I have done NOTHING to either of these cars. They are exactly as I purchased them. So I don't know what parts I have, I'm just going off of what the sellers told me.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Ha Its just my opinion, I'm not knocking coupes I have one myself after all. I'm just saying the fastbacks are pretty sweet. I'd focus more on the 68 if I were you mostly because of the fact that it's already running and drivable and it is a great foundation to start with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member, very little knowledge, 2 mustangs