Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Start up smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:55 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

So for the better part of a year you have a small amount of white smoke in the morning when you first start you car?

You have not lost/gained significant amounts of oil and/or coolant?

If both of these statements are true than it sounds like nothing more than normal condensation burn off.

If it smokes like this:

There is a large problem....but after a year you would have noticed the lack of coolant....I would think

If it smokes like this

There is still is probably problem with a small amount of antifreeze leaking into the combustion chambers after it sits.

It is smokes like this at the beginning it is generally normal and just condensation from the exhaust as the pipes warm up

Last edited by dodgestang; 02-05-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ProblemHouston

I have been getting the puff of white smoke only when I start the car...

It didn't start smoking until after we we went through it and changed all the fluids.
you stated that this started after you removed the thick gooey oil and replaced it with what i am guessing is much thinner less goey oil and you changed "other" fluids too at the same time . . if this is correct, i seriously doubt that changing the oil and/or coolant, caused coolant to suddenly start leaking into your cylinders thereby causing the "smoke" you are now seeing but i suppose its possible....

Last edited by barnett468; 02-05-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 AM
ProblemHouston
1st Gear Member

Dodge it's more like the second video with a nice sized puff of smoke when the motor starts. While it is idiling you can't see any smoke coming out of the exhaust. I know it's now water cause it does it at all times of the day. It doesn't smell sweet at all. I think I will find a shop and have a compression test done to see of I just need to replace the valves or if there is a problem with the rings and need to get it rebuilt completely.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

A puff of smoke like that every time you start the car would cause noticeable changes in fluid levels over a period of time. How closely have you been monitoring fluid levels...you did say it has done it for over a year correct?

Do you have a brake booster? When was the last time you check your MC fluid level?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:57 PM
ProblemHouston
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
A puff of smoke like that every time you start the car would cause noticeable changes in fluid levels over a period of time. How closely have you been monitoring fluid levels...you did say it has done it for over a year correct?

Do you have a brake booster? When was the last time you check your MC fluid level?
Yeah it's been for about a year but I only take her out on average 2 days a month and thats about 2 starts each day. So I don't really dive the car very much. Some months it won't see any action. No brake booster and the MC fluid was checked and filled about 6 months ago when I took it in cause it had a leak on the pass. front. I am going to do an oil change this weekend (making sure not to over fill) and use 10w40 and see if I notice a difference. If it's still doing it in a week or two I will take it in to have the compression test done.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 AM
creaky

White vapor that dissipates quickly is water vapor, normal situation. White vapor that does not dissipate quickly is antifreeze, the vapor will have a distinct antifreeze odor. Black hazy smoke when accelerating is due to a rich fuel mixture. A puff of blue smoke that occurs on startup and/or after decelerating and then opening the throttle indicates worn valve guides/seals. Blue smoke that occurs on accelerating and gets worse as the engine warms up is due to worn piston rings.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM
ProblemHouston
1st Gear Member

got the front of the car up in the air to look at it this weekend and noticed all sorts of issues.

Oil pan is leaking everywhere.

Right before I changed the oil I checked the dip stick and it read right at the fill line. I don't know what I was saw last week to make me think it was high.

I have oil drips all over suspension and steering parts so I am guessing the pan is squirting oil out all over while I am driving her.

And finally, noticed a small amount of smoke while I was revving the engine after it had already warmed up.

I talked to a "high end" shop in my area at a car show this weekend and they wanted $100 an hour to do a compression test and they said it would take about 3 hours. I am not about to spend $300 just to find out if I need to spend another $3,000.

Right now I am not sure what to do next so I am just going to driver her like I have been (rarely) and monitor the oil levels more closely.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Gun Jam

Sometimes oil pan leaks are really valve cover leaks that seep down and make a huge mess...check along the seam of the valve cover gaskets for bunt oil on the headers and oil accumulation under the valve cover lip....If it looks clean then it could be main seals, or actually the oil pan seal.

-Gun
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 AM
WestCoastShelby
Banned

Originally Posted by ProblemHouston
I talked to a "high end" shop in my area at a car show this weekend and they wanted $100 an hour to do a compression test and they said it would take about 3 hours. I am not about to spend $300 just to find out if I need to spend another $3,000.
3 hours! I hope your kidding!!! They must really thought you were born yesterday or a complete sucker. You should learn how to do a compression test yourself it is very easy.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...test-14912158/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...mpression.html

and plenty of you-tube videos. Basically unconnected the spark coil wire to distributor, unscrew a spark plug, thread in tool, crank a couple times, and view reading, put back in spark plug and go to next cylinder. The tool is $25 at your local auto parts store!

Last edited by WestCoastShelby; 02-11-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
WestCoastShelby
Banned

Ask them what is involved in the 3 hours they were going to spend (besides laughing to the bank with your money)