Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
look in the top of the rad and count how many rows of tubes it has front to back . . i should be 2 or 3.
Actually, I can't even get the cap off. It twists to where it should line up but the cap is stuck.

tell us again how many blades your fan has?

can you spin it by hand? . . if so you have a fan clutch.

do you have a shroud?
No shroud yet but I'm planning to add one. The fan is 6-blade and cannot be turned by hand. It is fairly rigid but can be flexed a little by hand.

we absolutely need your ignition timing numbers to best help you.
I'll have to pick up a timing light. I'm hoping that I'll have time on Saturday to work on it.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the cap must come off.

if the cap has a lever, pull up on the lever, then turn it.

if it does not have a lever then push down hard as you turn it until it stops then remove it.

you can buy the cheapest timing lite you can find.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

I got it. I have a history of over torquing things and turning simple projects into much harder ones so I'm a little gun shy...

This is all I can see inside the cap opening. If you ask me, it looks like a whole lot of rust clogging things up (which of course is what several of you said it was). Not sure if this answers the question of what kind of rad is in there though. I did look through the stack of paperwork my Mom sent with the car and saw nothing about a new radiator. I do have registration paperwork going back to the 60s though

Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Gun Jam

so where's the water at?

How much would you have to add so it was 1/2" to 1" above the metal slats (cores)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
so where's the water at?

How much would you have to add so it was 1/2" to 1" above the metal slats (cores)
There is water in the reservoir. The guy said the reason it almost overheated on the way to the shop was that it was low on fluid. I asked them to top it off so I could drive it home. Maybe he only checked the res? In general, this is a very reputable shop but I'm having my doubts...

To answer your question more directly though, I don't know. it is below that grate in the pic but I don't know how far below.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:56 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

so where's the water at?
stop it...he's had a bad day.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Gun Jam

I was being serious...If its just below the core say 1 qt then its okay but if its 3/4 gallon low then we must ask...where's it going!!

To the OP buy a gallon of distilled water and pour it in let me know how much it takes to get 1/2" above the "grate"

-Gun
Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

ok, how many rows do you see?

it looks like it is two rows deep.

the tubes are usa size so it is a usa made rad . . they do not make a 2 row high efficienct rad so it is a std rad.

there is likely a small raised date code on the top that says 64.

the rad i listed is all you will ever need . . simnce it is 450.00 and they were ggoing to charge you $550.00 to dsell you one and install it, the rad they were going to sell you was far inferior to this one.

if you want the non stock looking northern aluminum rad let me know.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-19-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:02 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

I was being serious...If its just below the core say 1 qt then its okay but if its 3/4 gallon low then we must ask...where's it going!!
i know, i was just trying to be entertaining, lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:05 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nurdyguy
There is water in the reservoir. The guy said the reason it almost overheated on the way to the shop was that it was low on fluid. I asked them to top it off so I could drive it home. Maybe he only checked the res? In general, this is a very reputable shop but I'm having my doubts...

To answer your question more directly though, I don't know. it is below that grate in the pic but I don't know how far below.
i told you all about air pockets and low water levels and suggested you fill it up before you drove to the shop . . did you not do that?

Quick Reply: 65 overheating issues