Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 that's been siting for a while.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 PM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Thanks JHP. You are right on for the brakes. The pedel bottoms out when you step on it. Looked at the inside of the master cyclinder and one side of it is completely dry. So I know that there is some brake cyclinders thats got to be rebuild/replaced. The main line to the tank, I blew out. I think it will be O.K. I have a guy at work thats got a tank (new in the box) I am going to get.
The car has been started every once in a while.....last time I don't know. Thats what I was told. I beleive this because I know the person that I got it from. It was his grandma's car. He got it when she died and drove it in high school. Then he got a new truck and parked it at his mom & dad's house ( covered in the garage ). So the car has been taken reasonly good care of. They started a restro project on it, then drop it. I plan on taking it all the way down and back up. I have read alot of post on this. Looked at alot of pics. So I know its going to be a journey. This is just the begining.

Hump.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Captain TB

You're doing the right things.
turn it by hand
rebuild carb,
fluids and filters incl air, flush radiator, I took mine out
change thermostat, anything with rubber parts should be changed
CHECK brakes,
change plugs and wires,
change fuel filter,
check dist diaphram,
clean out fuel tank,
battery,
look at the vibration dampner if the little rubber ring seperating the outer ring and the inner part is bad you should change it, mine was bad and started wobbling, not good
change belts
I took everything out of the engine bay, covered electrics and pressure washed the engine. Used Hammerite satin paint for for the fender wells and fire wall. Then painted the block and air cleaner 67 blue. Looks great!
Have fun!!
Tony
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 PM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

vibration damper? Not sure what that is.

Hump.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Its also known as the harmonic balancer and is mounted to the crank pulley.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Captain TB

That's it. It also has the timing marks on it. It's actually mounted behind the crank pulley, but that's just me being pedantic. You need a special tool to pull it off and put it back. I made one from a piece of 1/2" steel with the three holes that match the balancer and the center hole. Then used a piece of all thread, some large washers and nuts and the correct size socket to use to press against. You need to be careful not to damage the threads on the crank. Then some same sized diameter bolts, but longer, as the outer three to press it back on. You should measure how far it is from the front of the timing chain cover so you know how far it needs to go back on, if you don't the pulley won't line up. If the harmonic balancer fails, it can do some serious damage to the crank and motor. I eventually took out the radiator (again) to gain some work space. One more note, if you make or have the puller/presser made, make sure the edges aren't pushing on anything else. Mine was square and one of the corners started pushing on one of the pipes for the water pump. You can't feel how hard you're pressing and I almost broke the inlet off. All in all a very satisfying job.
Tony
Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

harmonic balancer.....that I've herad of. I have access to alot of pullers and presses at work. Being that I'm a part of a work group that keeps those purple & white cargo jets in the air. Getting the right tool for the job will be/ should be ...not a problem. ( I hope ) I'm sure that somebody out here has what I need to do that kind of job.
I will check it for sure.

Hump.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:38 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the rear reservoir goes to the front brakes and it can leak from the rear seal on the mater . . you can look under the dash and pull the rubber boot back on the master and see.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

O.K. Here's what I got: (pics to come)

2 row with the trans cooler studs on the bottom.

I have leaks on the top header and the very top of the radiator.

I have leaks around some of the tubes on the bottom.

I also have a leak ( bubbles coming from here ) around the hose outlet on the bottom.

My ? is how is the outlet sealed? There is not solder any where around it. It's got to be connected inside somewhere. Any body got some pic of the inside. This will show me what I got to do.
I know that the radiator consists of:
1. tubes with fins around them.
2. That the tubes are connected at the top / bottom with headers.
3. At which point, we have the top / bottom caps.
It's here where I'm a little lost on the flow of each fluid. Being it is a "2 row", is one row for the engine cooling and the other for the trans. OR is some of the tubes used for only the trans. and it's got some kinda plate inside.
Not ready to buy a radiator yet, but will if I have too. I plan on it at a later date after I finish the restro. Just right now I would like to get it running.

Hump.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

This is the harmonic balancer.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Here is the bottom outlet of the radiator. This is where it is leaking. As you can see, there is no solder around the hose stub. Got to be attached inside some how.

Hump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 that's been siting for a while.