Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

water pump replacement suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 04:59 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
The flowkooler looks really well built I would buy that straight away but It appears its a non back plate model (for 65s) I just bought a good new timing chain cover to replaced the pitted old one so I would like to stay with a setup that matches what ive got now fitment wise.

Thanks!
nope, the one for the 65 is thinner . . the exact one i posted is correct for the 66 with the back plate . . no idea if the plate is included . . call summit or flowkooler to see.

they way the list it is stupid, dont pay attention to it.

all 1681 pumps are the same except for the finish.

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/...124/index.html

Last edited by barnett468; 02-22-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Gun Jam

I considered the electric setups they look awesome...Good to know they are reliable too. The cost isn't that bad but dont feel like spending a week at this time to get it properly set up. maybe in the future 8 amps at 13v is 104w or .14hp...Thats less than a 1/4 hp at any rpm to run that pump....Thats pretty damn cool....Maybe I'll look into it more ...I bet it takes way more than 1/4 HP to run a mechanical pump...Anyone have a real number?

So its either that or the flowkooler...
Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

I considered the electric setups they look awesome...Good to know they are reliable too. The cost isn't that bad but dont feel like spending a week at this time to get it properly set up. maybe in the future 8 amps at 13v is 104w or .14hp...Thats less than a 1/4 hp at any rpm to run that pump....Thats pretty damn cool....Maybe I'll look into it more ...I bet it takes way more than 1/4 HP to run a mechanical pump...Anyone have a real number?

So its either that or the flowkooler...
depends on the fan and also whether it is fixed or on a clutch, but i think the number was around 7 hp.

there was also a calc like you did to run an electric fan . . a good electric will draw around 20 - 30 amps.

if you have a dual pulley, you can slow both the fan speed and water pump speed down by running a factory single pulley . . they are larger.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-22-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I always get the new ones that Oreilly's or Advance has. I currently have a GMB on the 65. I have a 5.0 though, so that changes things a bit.

The F150 has a Tough One from Advance on the truck. I have no idea who makes this unit. I was going to guess Airtex.

They usually last a while, but don't really last as long as they should or as long as an OEM unit.

These are also aluminum, but are reverse rotation. Maybe something similar is available in standard rotation.

I've completely given up on remanufactured water pumps years ago.

I have considered the performance offerings from Edelbrock and Flowcooler a few times, but the price is too steep for me.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 02-23-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

There is absolutely no way I would consider an electric water pump. I've seen them on some drag type builds, but never on street cars. Thats probably for a reason.

I can't believe it takes that much HP to run a mechanical pump.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 02-23-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I even try to not let belt tension become excessive. I think its probably a cheep reman.

Do you remember if you got the standard or high volume one?

Did it require any special bolt lengths?
I believe I have the high volume unit, but I can't remember for sure. I do have one bolt that needed to be a bit longer than what came in my ARP kit, but I believe that had more to do with my thick cast iron accessory brackets than the WP itself.

It does take a bit of power to run a mechanical fan, especially without a clutch.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
There is absolutely no way I would consider an electric water pump. I've seen them on some drag type builds, but never on street cars. Thats probably for a reason.

I can't believe it takes that much HP to run a mechanical pump.
The reason is mostly that people don't like to change the way things are done, and shy away from something different or new. Mechanical is tried and true, and everyone used them before electric water pumps existed...electric comes along and everyone says "no one uses an electric on the street, so I won't either because there must be a reason." The reason is that everyone used mechanical because that's all there was, and electric comes along and no one switched.

A good electric pump will run on the street for a loooong time, and can last longer than a mechanical because there's no side load being put on a shaft/bearing, so you avoid a large point of mechanical failure. You have to get a good pump though, like a Meziere....and they're expensive. They rate them at 3,000+ hours of life though, so if you commute and drive around a city let's say at an average speed of 40mph....that's a minimum of 120,000 miles. That's minimum life expectancy, and if you commute on the highway a lot like I do where your average speed between highway and city driving works out to 60mph...that's 180,000 miles. In reality, I've seen some info that when Meziere tests their pumps, they frequently get 5,000hrs or more out of them, and the 3k hrs is just a guaranteed minimum; so at 5k hrs and 40mph your pump life is 200,000 miles, at 60mph it's 300,000 miles. That's a long, long time for a water pump to last.

My Meziere has been on the car for years, and still runs like it's brand new. I suspect it will last for years more...but it's also a $500 55gpm pump, so it's a matter of getting what you pay for. The initial buy in cost is high, plus you need to spend a bit of money on wiring up a relay as well as having an alternator that can handle the load (over 10amps constant draw just from the pump). As is typical of all things electric, it takes less power to make the electricity in the alternator to run the pump, than to run it mechanically; so it's more efficient and more reliable, and can eliminate a pulley if that's beneficial (they also sell versions with an idler pulley in place if you need it for belt routing). It's also large though, and I'm limited to low profile fans since the pump sticks out quite a bit. They also sell the motors separately if you need to replace one and the pump itself is fine.

A few factory cars are starting to go to electric water pumps, probably a result of the older "I ain't usin' me no durned electricemec pumpoolie doohickey" engineers retiring and newer engineers replacing them. You mostly see them on a smaller number of higher end cars though, some of the Audis and Mercedes models; but it is starting to becoming more common in other cars as well. With more cars running turbos and pushing for really high efficiency, an electric water pump can be made reasonably small and eliminate need for belt routing, making packaging easier in a new design shooting for a compact and lightweight powerplant.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
A good electric pump will run on the street for a loooong time, and can last longer than a mechanical because there's no side load being put on a shaft/bearing, so you avoid a large point of mechanical failure.

can eliminate a pulley if that's beneficial

(they also sell versions with an idler pulley in place if you need it for belt routing)
unfortunately this adds a bearing that now has the same or similar side load the water pump bearing had but it is much easier to replace.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-23-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Gun Jam

I decided against one for now simply because of installation hassel

The 35gpm pumps are too long and will hit my electric fan

The 55gpm pumps should fit but are almost 600. I dont like the idea of having to deal with extra wire or a relay right now.

The reliability seems on par or better with a good mechanical setup. Hp gains are real probably about 5 to 7

I still may consider one later but im not at this time willing to do all the extra work to get my car to properly adsorb this new technology.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
unfortunately this adds a bearing that now has the same or similar side load the water pump bearing had but it is much easier to replace.
True, but at least it's separate from the pump shaft bearings, so if it goes out it doesn't ruin the pump at the same time. I do like that the Mezieres are modular though, and you can replace separate parts like the pump, motor or pulley. They're just a really expensive pump.

Quick Reply: water pump replacement suggestions