Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:36 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Woody at Fordstrokers.com I believe provides warranties. He has a really good reputation from what I've heard. I'm not sure whether he gives discounts to forum members or not.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Woody at Fordstrokers.com I believe provides warranties. He has a really good reputation from what I've heard. I'm not sure whether he gives discounts to forum members or not.
I would have it done local or buy a ford racing stroker or short block.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I am trying to decide whether to remove my 331 and take it to a builder and have them go throught it, find the cause and repair it, or just buy a ford racing short block.

The only reason I am throwing out the idea of the 363 crate is because EVERYTHING on my engine is new. I mean the heads, intake, cam, lifters, rockers, carb, water pump, accessories....EVERYTHING.

I already have a 289 new shortblock and a 306 in the garage. I don't want more crap laying around.

but most of all I want to find out why this has happened again.

Does anyone here recommend a engine builder in so cal or vegas. I don't think AZ has much to choose from. I don't mind a little drive to get it done correctly.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

If it's all new I'd take it to a different local engine builder and get it sorted out. I'd definitely look at a better oil pan with baffles and a good oil pump. If you know any of the local racers, see who they recommend for engine builders, especially if there's a guy running fords. Again you don't have a parts problem you have a clearance/assembly/lack of oil problem.

I can't see trashing all those new parts for no reason.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:18 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
Does anyone here recommend a engine builder in so cal or vegas. I don't think AZ has much to choose from. I don't mind a little drive to get it done correctly.
there are good engine builders in the phoenix area . . contact the copper state mustang club and ask them or if you are near north east scottsdale, go to the big pavilions/mcdonalds show there held every saturday afternoon and night and ask the guys with the high dollar looking engines whi they recommend . . also, ask some of the ford guys where kenny berger is parked and ask him.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I'm still struggling with the decision. I have friends at a Ford dealership that can save me money on the Ford racing 363 longblock.
However I'm tormented with the challenge of getting my current set up to work correctly.
I found a guy in Mesa AZ that said if I bring my engine to him, he will tear it apart and let me km now what happened, and exactly what I need to do to correct it. He wants 250.00 for a tear down. It's no biggie for me but I hate to throw more money if I end up junkie this current short block set up I have.
Is anyone on here running a 363 from ford racing?
If so, please send me feed back. If not, I may be the ginnie pig. I just don't wanna be the $9k ginnie pig.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:33 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I'm still struggling with the decision. I have friends at a Ford dealership that can save me money on the Ford racing 363 longblock.
However I'm tormented with the challenge of getting my current set up to work correctly.
I found a guy in Mesa AZ that said if I bring my engine to him, he will tear it apart and let me km now what happened, and exactly what I need to do to correct it. He wants 250.00 for a tear down. It's no biggie for me but I hate to throw more money if I end up junkie this current short block set up I have.
Is anyone on here running a 363 from ford racing?
If so, please send me feed back. If not, I may be the ginnie pig. I just don't wanna be the $9k ginnie pig.
a 363 is 9k?

you can build your own AND gold plate the engine for less than that.

tell the tear down guy that if he can not find the prob, you want pay him . . also, unless he is going to fix it for you i would take it to a regular builder.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-01-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:19 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You can always build an engine for less than you buy a good crate engine. At least 40% of the crate engine cost is labor.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

To be clear, the guy that said he will tear it down and find the issue is not the guy that built it. He is a engine builder here locally. He owns a shop and has all his own machine equip. He also said that he would salvage any and all parts that were usable.

I'm not too concerned about the money at this point. I just want the car to run hard when I want to use it, then be able to run hard again the next time without having to worry about it failing.

another concern I have with putting a 363 in a 66 for the street is overkill. Most of my car is upgraded but I don't know if the car itself could handle 500hp safely without having to do even more improvements to it. I don't like the thought of having to do everything I have upgraded already, over again.

I think im gonna pull the engine and see what happened this time.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

If the new engine guy is solid and has good rep I'd pull it and take it to him. If he's got his own machine equip then I bet the parts bill will be fairly small. You;ll need the normal bearings and such, but the crank, rods etc can all be re machined to new tolerances and be fine.

I think you're spot on with the question about HP and your mods so far. You can have an awful lot of fun and keep the HP reasonable. You don't want to go so crazy that it requires tons more upgrades like subframe connectors and such. Let us know what he finds.

Quick Reply: engine frustration