Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 coupe - tortoise mode updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default 66 coupe - tortoise mode updates

Just wanted to share some updates, making slow progress. God how I wish I was rich and could pay someone to do all this. . . .

Got the one piece headliner from MustangtoFear. The fit was good, but not great, trimming is necessary, more then I would have expected, but still workable. Installing that headliner by myself was like wrestling jello. I could have sold pay per-view tickets cuz I know I looked like a fool.

Installed my seats to find they were just a touch too high for my preference. I did some massaging of the bracket was able to get another 3/4" out of it. Now visually, they are dead center on the windshield and a good 2-3 inches below the headliner.

Got some great ideas on building a bolt-in harness from the forums. My intent was be able to install it as needed. Heres the mockup, where everything is ready to be welded, base plate to tube, nuts under the base plates, and tabs at the top corner to new seat belt backing plates (B-pillar).

If I suddenly become Mario Andretti and technically require NHRA 11.49 specs, and SOLO II requirements, I can weld this in using the existing hardware. This is a chris alston chassisworks 4 point, 1.75" ERW tubing, .134 wall. The fit was great! I still need some ideas on the down bars so I can remove them separately from the main hoop to make it more manageable. I was looking at camburg tube clamps, but no-one makes a .134 wall coupler. Any ideas? ERW is becoming the norm because of its price compared to DOM, and its just a matter of time before they starting making accessories for it. Nothing out there comes in a .134 wall.

By the way, the electrical was done about two weeks ago, updates were posted. note the wiring harness changes, they're important.
Attached Thumbnails 66 coupe - tortoise mode updates-roll-bar-driver-side-box.jpg   66 coupe - tortoise mode updates-roll-bar-inside-view.jpg   66 coupe - tortoise mode updates-roll-bar-side-view.jpg   66 coupe - tortoise mode updates-roll-bar-pass-side.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
seat bracket.pdf (67.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf
roll bar camburg.pdf (85.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by groho; 03-16-2015 at 06:32 PM.