Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 stock gas tank replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 150ron
thanks guys, just did that, hit it with a few coats of metal paint, thanks for the advice, much appreciated, its now sitting, waiting on a new tank. anything else i should know or do?
You probably know this already...
But 3M 08578 Black 1' Strip Calk is needed in between the tank and trunk floor to seal her up from the elements.
Amazon.com: 3M 08578 Black 1' Strip Calk: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 08578 Black 1' Strip Calk: Automotive
I use a double ribbon of around the edge and around all holes.
You can get it most auto places.

Lynn
Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
You probably know this already...
But 3M 08578 Black 1' Strip Calk is needed in between the tank and trunk floor to seal her up from the elements.
Amazon.com: 3M 08578 Black 1' Strip Calk: Automotive
I use a double ribbon of around the edge and around all holes.
You can get it most auto places.

Lynn
Thanks lynn, i was planning on using regular silicone, but i may just get that.

Also gonna replace the water temperature sending unit, since the temp gauge does not work, i tested it by gounding the wire and the gauge shot up, so the gauge is good, getting a new starter solenoid too, all cheap things that are recommended to do.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I just did all this... my car sat in a storage unit for slightly over 3 years while I got to live in Hawaii. The car was in Colorado, dry as a bone. However, I rebuilt the carb after very carefully getting the rotating assy moving on my new motor (was new just before Hawaii anyway) and it ran really good, then badly. So, as I said, rebuilt the carb - ran great for a while. then wouldn't run good at all. Took the carb apart, full of crap. Long story short, my sending unit looked like a coat hanger someone threw into salt water, lol. New tank, new sending unit, new pump, another rebuild on the carb, she runs great. If you have any specific questions ask, I literally just did this.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:33 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 150ron
Thanks lynn, i was planning on using regular silicone, but i may just get that.
Silicone is not the way to go. The stuff I posted is close to what was used for factory usage and is made for this purpose. It is forever pliable, paintable, and will keep out dirt and moisture better then silicone.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 03-31-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I used 3M strip caulk also..
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
I just did all this... my car sat in a storage unit for slightly over 3 years while I got to live in Hawaii. The car was in Colorado, dry as a bone. However, I rebuilt the carb after very carefully getting the rotating assy moving on my new motor (was new just before Hawaii anyway) and it ran really good, then badly. So, as I said, rebuilt the carb - ran great for a while. then wouldn't run good at all. Took the carb apart, full of crap. Long story short, my sending unit looked like a coat hanger someone threw into salt water, lol. New tank, new sending unit, new pump, another rebuild on the carb, she runs great. If you have any specific questions ask, I literally just did this.
Awesome, you basically did all im doing minus the carb rebuild, which i know i should do as if i press down on the pedal hard it backfires then the engine shuts off, ANY AND ALL info regarding rebuilding the carb will be great, links to parts, etc, ive never rebuilt a carb before, thanks, got any pics of your stang?

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Silicone is not the way to go. The stuff I posted is close to what was used for factory usage and is made for this purpose. It is forever pliable, paintable, and will keep out dirt and moisture better then silicone.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn, ill go see if they have it at orielly's or another auto parts, last time at orielly's he did not have that, recommended i use this black silicone stuff.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Parts came in today, tank looked great.

Name:  temporary_zpsneru3gbz.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  222.1 KB

tested the sending unit with me volt meter, worked as it should, just like in CJ's vid, dropped it in, caulking, connected everything

Name:  temporary_zpsajnl9t5m.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  202.7 KB

and for the first time theres now a spare tire in there, lol, jack and wheel bolt X thingie (sorry forgot what its called), jumper cables, water jug, tools and tow rope just in case.

Name:  temporary_zpszejhjswn.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  224.3 KB
Old 04-05-2015, 11:13 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Looks good. There should be a spare tire hold down on the passenger side.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:40 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Looks good. There should be a spare tire hold down on the passenger side.
hi, do you have a pic?
Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

That little bracket on the trunk floor holds the spare tire down with the special bolt and wing nut.

Lynn

Quick Reply: 66 stock gas tank replacement