Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Blown head gasket??

Old 04-01-2015, 09:39 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

I work for a private company in the IT field. Been here 10 years.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Ok so I don't get a bubbling in the radiator until about 150 degrees and i wouldnt say small constant bubbling, just every minute or two it'll boil over the radiator and an occasional popping up of water.

And I am not sure the engine overheats as I havent actually let it run up to 180-190 as at that point the noise will have already started and the coolant already making a mess on my floor.

Before I parked the car 3 years ago it ran ok. Engine was jumpy ( could have been spark plugs ) but never a prob with overflowing coolant and noise until now. As said before I have since then changed the transmission, torque conv, radiator, put an oil cooler, and other minor things but nothing to the engine.

All the plugs were same, carbon fouled and few smelled of gas. Perhaps the ones with the weak spark. That would cause the gas to seap down into the oil causing the smell of gas into the oil. But still the noise baffles me and have to wait for my sparks to try anything else .

I am hoping the knocking is the combustion or non combustion of the non firing sparks and the coolant is an air pocket?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

when you finally do the following, you will have your answer . . there are no miracles.

from post 4.

Originally Posted by barnett468
you have a blocked water passage or you lower heater hose is compressing . . if it is still round when it does this you have a plugged water port . . if the head gasket was bad it would be steaming out the tail pipe. . . remove the water pump and see if the impeller is rusted away or the ports on the timing cover are plugged . . if all is ok, yank the heads.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Bottom hose is fine entire time. It doesn't compress.

My water pump is literally brand new. I installed it before the car sat. I only use anti freeze at the exact mixture so it can't be rusted. Besides when i rev the engine before it warms up I see the water level go up and down which means it's working.

I installed the new sparks and managed to tune the engine but once it warms up the knocking noise begins. once the noise starts then I get the overflowing of the coolant. First knocking then immediately after the overdlowing. And it's around the cylinder number 3-4.

What shall I do now? I have ordered a fel pro gasket kit to be on the safe side. I'm assuming when engine warms up the cylinder leaks out gas from the chamber into the water passage. Knocking noise could be water mixing with the hot gasses? Or water seeping into the cylinder?

What a freakin mess!!!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

if the water ports were clear in your timing cover and the pump is the right rotation and the right housing pull the heads and get them magged and check the heads and the block for flattness.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

What would you do first? Would you do a leak down test? I can borrow one from a local mechanic. No one here seems to have test strips that test coolant for gas. That would help. Would a block water passage cause knocking noise?
Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
What would you do first? Would you do a leak down test? I can borrow one from a local mechanic. No one here seems to have test strips that test coolant for gas. That would help. Would a block water passage cause knocking noise?
you cant test water for gas but you can use a chemical that goes in a bottle then fits in your rad cap hole then you run the engine for a few minutes and if it is leaking compression into the water it will turn blue.

its thumping because the water is boiling somewhere in a blocked area of the engine . . this is rare but i had this prob before and one of the water passages in the timing chain cover at the block was plugged.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

I wish I had that 30 dollar tester . Can't seem to locate one on the island.

So you would take apart water pump and timing cover before you started taking apart intake manifold and then heads?
Old 04-06-2015, 04:59 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
I wish I had that 30 dollar tester . Can't seem to locate one on the island.

So you would take apart water pump and timing cover before you started taking apart intake manifold and then heads?
well you said you just recently put a pump on it and everything looked clear so based on your comments i would just rip the heads off.

ho soon after the pump installation did this occur?
Old 04-06-2015, 07:35 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

I inatalles pump in 2010 when I xhanges valves and redid top end, changed intake and carb. Then 2011 I parked the car and haven't touched it since as the transmission kept blowing a tear seal. In 2015 jan I changed to aod, new radiator and some other minor things. Just now this started happening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown head gasket??