Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

On modernizing a classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Mechanical stuff will fail eventually...but often long after an electronic component fails. This is especially true for cheap aftermarket electronics.

These cars are absurdly easy to steal. There's not really a good way around that. Cutoff switches, alarms with ignition cutoffs, almost everything you can do is pretty easy to disable by a knowledgeable car thief. If you're in a theft-prone area you could consider a professionally installed alarm, but it's really no more than a deterrent, hopefully making your car just that much more difficult to steal than the one next to it.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nurdyguy
What do you guys do for security/theft deterence?
simple, install a hidden toggle switch between the coil ground wire and the ground.

they try to jump power to the coil because that's where people put a switch but they will never figure out the coil is not grounded...ever.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

When I get my car back together I am doing a kill switch, which by the way Barnett468 great idea on the positioning of the switch.

There is nothing you can really do to stop someone from taking your car if they want it. (Rollback and off they go), but there are several deterents. One that I am looking at getting down the road is http://www.ravelco.com/.

After saying all this get good insurance and insure it for the value to replace it with the same style car. That is the only way you will have peace of mind from your car being where you parked it or not.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Nurdyguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
simple, install a hidden toggle switch between the coil ground wire and the ground.

they try to jump power to the coil because that's where people put a switch but they will never figure out the coil is not grounded...ever.
Cool idea. I've also thought about a fuel cutoff switch but not having an electric fuel pump makes that more complicated. Plus, they'll still be able to start it but just wont get very far before it dies.

I've looked at the Ravelco as well but the wife doesn't want to spend $500...
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nurdyguy
Cool idea. I've also thought about a fuel cutoff switch but not having an electric fuel pump makes that more complicated. Plus, they'll still be able to start it but just wont get very far before it dies.

I've looked at the Ravelco as well but the wife doesn't want to spend $500...
if you wanted to be extra safe you could mount the switch in the trunk . . they will never ever fin it

you could also mount it under the front seat in the rear of it.

car thieves they do not want to be in your car very long trying to start it.

another simple deterrent is a hood latch pin and cable.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Do what you want with the car, its YOURS. If you don't plan on selling it, don't worry about the value. Yeas you can add power windows and they will work. Power locks I don't see point for unless its for a keyless entry, which will also work if done right.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 PM
JamesW

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
Do what you want with the car, its YOURS. If you don't plan on selling it, don't worry about the value. Yeas you can add power windows and they will work. Power locks I don't see point for unless its for a keyless entry, which will also work if done right.
Agree 100%. you need to figure out what your goal for the car is. Not what others think is value. Value is determined by you.