Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Boss or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM
rainymorning

Default Boss or Not???

I just bought a 1969 Fastback with a brand new 2nd generation 302 engine. I'd like to put decals on the car that have "302" or "boss 302" on them; however, because the car is not an original boss, I don't know if it would be offensive to the "real" boss owners...I'm brand new to classic car ownership and I want to use good etiquette. Can someone advise?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:23 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

i hope it pisses the heck out of some but i doubt it will, lol . . good etiquette is people that either compliment you on your car or simply say nothing . . bad etiquette is some a hole that starts pickin on it for any reason whatsoever . . everyone here will tell you the same thing . . its your car and your money so do whatever you want with total disregard for what others want you to do.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:57 PM
rainymorning

Thank you so much....I am way excited!!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm usually of the "do it your own way" philosophy...but I have to draw the line here.

"Boss" really does mean something to the community. It's not just a trim package, it's a motor, and it's rare. By plastering Boss decals on you're car, you're claiming you have a Boss motor. You don't. It would be the same as putting "Hemi" decals on a Charger with a 318 (which is not a Hemi, for the non Mopar-literate). It's flat out not what it says it is.

Can you do it? Sure, it's a free country. Is anybody else going to appreciate it? No.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:57 PM
rainymorning

This is why I'm asking. I want to be correct in my actions and my engine is a 2nd generation boss 302, but the trim package is not an original boss. I have a 302 engine so I should be able to use the decals, but I do not have the original trim package so that makes it questionable to me. Does that makes sense? I'm in love with the engine and want to display the decals, but not offend anyone.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

If you want to badge it such, do it, you just don't sell it as such when the time comes.

If it pisses people off when they see Boss decals, oh well, they're the ones getting the ulcer over it, not you.

Lynn
Old 04-14-2015, 04:38 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I'm usually of the "do it your own way" philosophy...but I have to draw the line here.

"Boss" really does mean something to the community. It's not just a trim package, it's a motor, and it's rare. By plastering Boss decals on you're car, you're claiming you have a Boss motor. You don't. It would be the same as putting "Hemi" decals on a Charger with a 318 (which is not a Hemi, for the non Mopar-literate). It's flat out not what it says it is.

Can you do it? Sure, it's a free country. Is anybody else going to appreciate it? No.
The only person that needs to appreciate it is the owner, nothing more, nothing less.

Lynn
Old 04-14-2015, 05:36 PM
rainymorning

Thank you. That is what I was hoping. I would not ever try to represent the car as an original boss; I just want to be able to label the car with the engine that is in it. She's a beauty and my dream car. :-)
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM
cleangraystang
1st Gear Member

Its yours if you want to put the Boss decals on your car than do it. So what if you don't have the motor if your happy with your car that's all that counts....
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury

wow, starfury, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed or get a bad grade in school, lol . . i haven't seen you like this before . . i have had around 12 boss 302s 3 boss 429's and 7 shelbys and some of those were mca trailered concourse gold winners and i could care less what he does so to say that none of the boss owners would appreciate it is inaccurate.

to me, the best mustang owner is a happy mustang owner and if someone doesn't have $100,000.00 for a real boss or shelby etc, then should they be neglected of having a $10,000.00 look alike? . . if that's the case then there are around 50,000 shelby and fiberglass cobra clones that should be crushed.

i happen to know a lot of shelby and boss owners and many are prissy egotistical a holes that define themselves by the car they own because they have nothing else to define themselves by, just like a lot of mercedes and bmw owners and most of the cedes and bmw "owners" don't even own their car, it is leased.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-14-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss or Not???