Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Boss or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rainymorning
This is why I'm asking. I want to be correct in my actions and my engine is a 2nd generation boss 302, but the trim package is not an original boss. I have a 302 engine so I should be able to use the decals, but I do not have the original trim package so that makes it questionable to me. Does that makes sense? I'm in love with the engine and want to display the decals, but not offend anyone.
read post 2 again . . its overly kind of you to think of others feelings but here's the deal . . as i and others have said, its your car and your money . . others should be concerned about your feelings, not the other way around.

also, why do you want to let others dictate what you should do with your money?

if you do that then where do you draw the line of letting others dictate what you can do?

you can only paint your car a factory color.

you can only date girls from texas or ones that are scientologists.

you can only drink budweiser or coors lite.

heck, if i was forced to do the last 2 i'd probably just kill myself.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-15-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

My 69 mustang was a rusty red when I got it. Now she is Ferrari red with am two black stripes on the hood. I thought it would look cool. Is she meant for stripes? No.

Summit sent me the wrong valve covers that say 351 but I have a 302, do I care.... Not really.

I installed a handbrake from a Toyota in my ride in the center console, looks pretty bad *** and works so much better than a foot Ebrake. Was the only one that would raise above the console. Do I care ? No

I have installed two from seats from a Saab, they were the only ones that base are same size as original and have head rests and slight bucket to them. Do I care? No

I can go on and on of all the mods I've done which are not normal.. It's my car my money and I'll do whatever the fk I want

.... And if I **** a few people off on the way then it's an added bonus!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:40 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Don't be a poser. Get all the stripes you want just don't put faux badging on the car.

Whenever I see a sixer with GT or Cobra badging my heart dies a little.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Don't be a poser. Get all the stripes you want just don't put faux badging on the car.
well, he says he has a boss 302 engine so what badging should he use?

Originally Posted by rainymorning
my engine is a 2nd generation boss 302...

xlnt

Last edited by barnett468; 04-15-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

What about just making it resemble one, but not having the badging?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:35 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

well chip foose seems to think its ok to put boss 302 on a non boss car.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

You'll be the guy who dies of heart issues or have an ulcer over the badging, the sixer owner isn't going to care or know. Life is too short to be upset over small things.

Lynn
Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

What if the sixxer had a V8 swap?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
wow, starfury, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed or get a bad grade in school, lol . . i haven't seen you like this before . . i have had around 12 boss 302s 3 boss 429's and 7 shelbys and some of those were mca trailered concourse gold winners and i could care less what he does so to say that none of the boss owners would appreciate it is inaccurate.

to me, the best mustang owner is a happy mustang owner and if someone doesn't have $100,000.00 for a real boss or shelby etc, then should they be neglected of having a $10,000.00 look alike? . . if that's the case then there are around 50,000 shelby and fiberglass cobra clones that should be crushed.

i happen to know a lot of shelby and boss owners and many are prissy egotistical a holes that define themselves by the car they own because they have nothing else to define themselves by, just like a lot of mercedes and bmw owners and most of the cedes and bmw "owners" don't even own their car, it is leased.
Never said it should be crushed. I just don't like it when people pretend they have/are something they don't/aren't. Also, there's a difference between a well done shelby or cobra clone and putting boss or shelby decals on a car that isn't even a clone, let alone an original. And whatever Ford claims for that "Boss 302" motor, it's not a traditional Boss motor. "Boss" is just a marketing ploy at this point. It's a 5.0 with 4-bolt mains and GT40X heads.

I am a fan of building a car the way you want it, but taste comes into the equation as well. How far is "too far?" Is it ok to put a giant ricer wing on the back? What about 13" wire rims and hydraulics? How about pulling the motor from a factory original GT500 and replacing it with a coyote 5.0 motor? Where do you draw the line?

Contrary to what people may claim, most people do care what others think. They make their life choices based on this fact. Plastering "Boss 302" decals on a distinctly non-Boss car is not usually done for the owner, it's done for the people who see the car while driving. When you post the question on a forum like this, you're asking people for their opinion because you care about that opinion. At that point you can either take the advice or ignore it, but that's on you, not the community.

As I said, it's a free country and he can do what he wants with his own car. He just shouldn't expect others to like it.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Tribute cars are cool, just make sure prospective buyers know the difference.
My pet peeve is when ignorants call any 302 a boss 302.

Quick Reply: Boss or Not???